Would extra copper shielding around GPS help with reception?

Reaction score
I have some 3M copper shielding tape. Was thinking of putting a couple layers under the GPS module to help keep any aircraft interference, etc., out. Would it help?

I have some 3M copper shielding tape. Was thinking of putting a couple layers under the GPS module to help keep any aircraft interference, etc., out. Would it help?
Are you getting any interference? If not, I'd just leave well alone...

Was thinking of putting a couple layers under the GPS module to help keep any aircraft interference, etc., out. Would it help?
There is not that much GPS interference, other than of coarse being under structures, large trees and so forth which will block the signal, or natural occurring emissions from sunspots, solar storms and so forth. Bottom line is not worth the trouble, and may do more harm than good.

Has anyone ever "sniffed" the board for interference we may not see directly that could affect gps signal? It already has a shielding. Is that shielding quality?

Has anyone ever "sniffed" the board for interference we may not see directly that could affect gps signal?
You didn't answer the previous question. Are you getting interference??

Not getting any noticeable interference really. Just thinking that its already there, maybe could be replaced with higher quality shielding.

I'm big into scanners and receivers. Some interference problems/noise generated from boards and components that were not noticed or heard that were very apparent with checked with a signal analyzer.

Some interference problems/noise generated from boards and components that were not noticed or heard that were very apparent with checked with a signal analyzer.
Are you saying you did, or just suggesting that you want to disassemble a perfectly good aircraft just for the sake of "sniffing" the boards? That to me sounds completely ridiculous. Also, you would need a spectrum analyzer for that as well. What's the point?

Is that shielding quality?
This used to be a popular hack back when the P2V+ was the current Phantom model since the shielding wasn't the best. Since the release of the Phantom 3, I haven't seen anyone complain about the shielding. While you could beef it up, you will likely not benefit from it.

Reactions: Fly Dawg
Disassembling the aircraft is child's play really. I'm curious about possible internal interference coming out of ac electronics that could desensitize the gps and/or compass that nobody has ever noticed.

I imagine in case of interference, signals from specific satellites would be sometimes lost, so the amount of visible satellites would fluctuate. I don't see such fluctuation in my drone.

If you want to have hard data on this, you would have to prepare a device which ask u-blox GPS for various related parameters and stores them. It is possible to do using ie. Pi Zero.

Here you can learn details on how to use the GPS:
P3X GPS Module board · mefistotelis/phantom-firmware-tools Wiki · GitHub

Disassembling the aircraft is child's play really.
Personally, I take offense to statements such as that. I have been with many so called "PHD's" and aero engineers that could not even use a wrench or screwdriver if their life depended on it. Yes, they are really smart cookies, but their dough is not quite done on the inside. I will just leave it at that.

Getting back to the original question, if you think it would help, then go ahead and do it.

It is, after all, your drone... :)

Disassembling the aircraft is child's play really. I'm curious about possible internal interference coming out of ac electronics that could desensitize the gps and/or compass that nobody has ever noticed.
Like msinger said, this was an issue with earlier P2 series Phantoms, and DJI fixed it.
Since then everyone gets great interference-free GPS sat reception.
You are wanting to fix something that's already been fixed.

Reactions: Fly Dawg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj