Worth Upgrading?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Phantom 2 Vision +

I am looking to upgrade to the Zenmuse H4-3D so that I can use my GoPro instead of the native camera. I have a few questions.

Can you take still shots from the Zenmuse H4-3d like you can the Vision + own camera?

And

Is it worth investing in upgrading to the Phantom 2 or should I be looking to purchase a Phantom 3 or 4 instead?

From what I can work out the Phantom 4 can only be used with the inbuilt camera. How does this compare to the HD Hero 4 Black? I know the drone is a vast improvement.

The Phantom 3 has 3 different models and these all seem to be camera variations. How much better is the Phantom 3 Drone taking into account I will only be using the drone outdoors.

Many thanks

Hi All,

I have a Phantom 2 Vision +

I am looking to upgrade to the Zenmuse H4-3D so that I can use my GoPro instead of the native camera. I have a few questions.

Can you take still shots from the Zenmuse H4-3d like you can the Vision + own camera?

And

Is it worth investing in upgrading to the Phantom 2 or should I be looking to purchase a Phantom 3 or 4 instead?

From what I can work out the Phantom 4 can only be used with the inbuilt camera. How does this compare to the HD Hero 4 Black? I know the drone is a vast improvement.

The Phantom 3 has 3 different models and these all seem to be camera variations. How much better is the Phantom 3 Drone taking into account I will only be using the drone outdoors.

Many thanks

If you are really interested in modifying your P2 vision + all you need is the camera and gimbal as everything is there for the swap. Let me know i have the info. and will PM it to you

Concerning your first question...
I haven't been able to find anyone successfully able to mod the Vision+/GoPro to allow it to take stills via the app shutter button. I set my GoPro to take a shot every few seconds before launching.
Here is the most comprehensive forum on modding the Vision+ to accept a Zenmuse and GoPro:
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus 2.4ghz Wifi Module - wiring diagram / camera connection - Page 14 - RC Groups

I have a GoPro 3+ Black on my Vision+ using a www.Dronexpert.nl quickrelease adapter I purchased at a steep discount on eBay.
Although I now have a Phantom 3 Pro I extended the usefulness of my Vision+ by adding the GoPro option. I still enjoy flying it.

As to your other questions maybe someone more knowledgeable of the sensor differences between the P3/P4 and GoPro 4 Black can chime in.

Concerning your first question...
I haven't been able to find anyone successfully able to mod the Vision+/GoPro to allow it to take stills via the app shutter button. I set my GoPro to take a shot every few seconds before launching.
Here is the most comprehensive forum on modding the Vision+ to accept a Zenmuse and GoPro:
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus 2.4ghz Wifi Module - wiring diagram / camera connection - Page 14 - RC Groups

I have a GoPro 3+ Black on my Vision+ using a www.Dronexpert.nl quickrelease adapter I purchased at a steep discount on eBay.
Although I now have a Phantom 3 Pro I extended the usefulness of my Vision+ by adding the GoPro option. I still enjoy flying it.

As to your other questions maybe someone more knowledgeable of the sensor differences between the P3/P4 and GoPro 4 Black can chime in.

So are you saying that removing the Vision + and installing the H4-3D Zenmuse kit is more complicated than plug and play? The forum you linked suggests a wiring diagram and soldering? I thought the idea of the H4-3D was that you remove the old V+ gimbal and attached the new one.

I dont see why I need the Dronexpert quick release mod as the H4-3D replaces the V+ camera?

So are you saying that removing the Vision + and installing the H4-3D Zenmuse kit is more complicated than plug and play? The forum you linked suggests a wiring diagram and soldering? I thought the idea of the H4-3D was that you remove the old V+ gimbal and attached the new one.

I dont see why I need the Dronexpert quick release mod as the H4-3D replaces the V+ camera?

Check your PM and I posted the info on swapping the gimbals/cameras there.

Reactions: TiMtImInYtImTiM

Unless you use the Dronexpert Quickrelease it will require rewiring and soldering.

Needless to say no solder is necessary and you sure won't need a Quick release to swap out the gimbal and camera..

Reactions: TiMtImInYtImTiM
I have a modified V+ with H33D and gopro 3+ setup. I also have P3Adv.

In the current climate (pricing), it's best to get a P3P and keep the GOpro for ground shots. If you asked me 2 years ago then I would of given you a different response. You need to consider that the H3-4D and 3D is still quite expensive and with gopro's proprietary firmware, there is no way you can control the camera settings in the air. The Gopro 4k is nice but very fish eyed (software can fix this). The P3A/P looks more modern with the flattened non-fisheye lens.
The P3 is very reliable and the range is astonishing. The live feed is also 720 so it makes framing a lot more easy and less reshots are needed. For what is it worth, the P3 feels less cumbersome compared to the V+ as everything feels more polished and refined. This leads to a better user experience compared the GOpro setup. You got to ask yourself - Is it worth the headache to save a few bucks???

If you are in the USA, upgrade to the P3!!! It is so cheap since the release of the P4.

Thanks everyone. In the UK I can get the H4-3D for £179 which what prompted my questions. I figured buying this was a lot cheaper that a new drone.

I thought you were able to control the camera using the gimbal?

Thanks everyone. In the UK I can get the H4-3D for £179 which what prompted my questions. I figured buying this was a lot cheaper that a new drone.

I thought you were able to control the camera using the gimbal?

You can control the cameras tilt with the gimbal but that's all. All other functions of the camera itself have to be done prior to takeoff so once it's in the air you are unable to make any adjustments.

Me too I set the GoPro to take shots ever 5 seconds (while also recording video).. Then when i frame a shot on my FPV screen i just count to 5 or more and i should have a shot.

Think this video will help if you don't know how to do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20