Worth the extended coverage?

Reaction score
So I've been learning for a bit and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a p3p at the local best buy. Guess I'm wondering now that dji seems to be a bit more customer service friendly and fixing many units under warranty I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $$$ for the extended. Right now it looks like it's $249 for 2 years replacement. Now I know dji is 1 yr. and just by reference of using the extended warranty on my kids headphones every time we have utilized the extended/replacement service it "uses" up the service and I have to buy it again if I want coverage on the replacement pair. Kinda like a 1time insurance claim. So thoughts before I order. Thanks!

What exactly does Best Buy's warranty cover?

Reactions: bobmyers
Lady says malfunctions and not performing like new conditions I would assume that if I crash it that they wouldn't cover it but then again how could they prove it wasn't a mechanical error. Thanks again guys

Just to add to the conversation, I purchased mine from B&H photo because that's where I got the majority of my other photography gear and they allow you to buy a Squaretrade warranty at the same time as the P3P and that warranty does cover accidental damage. The biggest restriction they have is that you have to have the craft so if it goes in the water they'll cover it but you have to recover it to send them the parts if they ask. I think you can buy either a 2 year or 3 year term, I got three.

I just left Best Buy. They said that the $149 (annual plan by me here) covers it if it crashes. I asked if it would cover if it went into a lake! They had no answer.

I'd like to see the fine print on their protection plan.

They cover spills! Just be sure the P3P you get from them has the new motors. I just went through this with them and returned it to Best Buy and purchased directly through DJI so I could get the newer motors.. I want to try to avoid stress cracks if at all possible No protection plan now but I hear there are other plans out there that will replace it if you crash.

Last edited:
I just left Best Buy. They said that the $149 (annual plan by me here) covers it if it crashes. I asked if it would cover if it went into a lake! They had no answer.

I'd like to see the fine print on their protection plan.

I wouldn't place much stock in what they said unless you get it in writing. I bet you will be S out of luck if you crashed it to bits and you walked in for warranty service.

Reactions: bobmyers
I wouldn't place much stock in what they said unless you get it in writing. I bet you will be S out of luck if you crashed it to bits and you walked in for warranty service.
You can't buy anything electronic at Best Buy without being ask it you want the Warranty for extras dollars... I can assure you that they make a fortune on this "insurance" since the manufacturer will replace the item anyway to Best Buy, even if it is beyond the original manufacturers warranty.. Otherwise, Best Buy would just refuse to handle the products. The wont ever fix a drone, they will just replace it, which will be the manufacturers' responsibility.

I've got it in writing from them. They will also currently honor a price match on the $100 drop Sears has going. DM me if you want the in writing confirmation.

Wait, Sears carries them too? The BestBuy warranty for a P3P would be worth it as noted above, they aren't going to fix it, they will replace it. After they sell a few hundred and start seeing them come back for whatever reason, they will surely change that policy IMHO.

Thanks

it's almost worth buying one to find out. Just break something on it that you KNOW you can fix... like the landing skid or something. Try and return it and get a new one. If they swap it out, WOW! we've all learned something new.. if not, well just fix the skid for 20 bucks.... or not even the landing skid... just a broken prop perhaps?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31