Work around when Go App won't let you take off

Reaction score
Hi, got a new Phantom 4 Pro, coming from a Phantom 2 with a GoPro, so not much experience with the app. I was trying to fly near Riverside Airport in CA. Assuming I was within 5 miles of this Class D airport and the Go app wouldn't let me take off. Just wondering if there is a work around as I only wanted to go up to 12 ft and fly over a static car for a beauty shot. I'm using the Phantom like a camera jib.

I would think that you could cover the top of drone with foil and prevent GPS from working. At that low altitude the Vision system should keep things stable.

Hi, got a new Phantom 4 Pro, coming from a Phantom 2 with a GoPro, so not much experience with the app. I was trying to fly near Riverside Airport in CA. Assuming I was within 5 miles of this Class D airport and the Go app wouldn't let me take off. Just wondering if there is a work around as I only wanted to go up to 12 ft and fly over a static car for a beauty shot. I'm using the Phantom like a camera jib.

What happens if you've not set your RTH settings correctly and the aircraft does a RTH heading up, up, and away and you're close to the airport. It's possible (and likely) that you're well within Class DELTA airspace so you could be near departing/approaching manned aircraft.

Don't be "that guy" because it only makes it harder for the rest of us.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

Drive the car and aircraft to somewhere else?

Can't you Self Certify and get by the restriction? I might be mixing my methods here LOL

Can't you Self Certify and get by the restriction? I might be mixing my methods here LOL
That's probably worth a go. If you are very close to the airport it may not work, but if you are some distance away you might be able to get temporary permission to fly. It's automated so doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I think I read that if your within 1.5 miles of the airport, there's no way around it.

That's pretty comforting to hear actually. :)

Where did you read that?

It's not true.
The temporary authorization application page on the DJI site details all restricted and authorization areas. You can get immediate online permission for the latter but the former are locked out as long as GPS is available to the aircraft (although the strict no-flight radius varies and is not always 1.5 miles.)

Thanks. I'll check that out.

I'll also plan on heading over to the airport this week and after talking and coordinating with the tower, making another TEST flight to make sure my first one wasn't some odd happening.

AD

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj