WooGlobe wants to buy my drone video

Reaction score
Last weekend, the New England fall leaves were at their seasonal peak, and I had the chance to make the fall video I've been waiting all year to do. I posted it on youtube (see LJ2cpiJUMiw), and today I heard from a UK outfit called WooGlobe, saying they have a client who is interested in the video. Have any of you ever heard of them? Are they legit?

Thanks for thoughtful replies.

Last weekend, the New England fall leaves were at their seasonal peak, and I had the chance to make the fall video I've been waiting all year to do. I posted it on youtube (see LJ2cpiJUMiw), and today I heard from a UK outfit called WooGlobe, saying they have a client who is interested in the video. Have any of you ever heard of them? Are they legit?

18ed5293cd3e91738d5243a8663d8f77.jpg

Then see what they say

Technically, if you live in the USA, and you are not Part 107 certified, you can't sell it to them.
Not an issue, as I'm Part 107 certified. Got one of the very first ones, valid 1 Sep 16.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Technically, if you live in the USA, and you are not Part 107 certified, you can't sell it to them.

Even though it turns out to be moot in this case, that's not necessarily correct. Provided that the original intent of the flight was recreational, the FAA has clarified, at least once, that subsequent offers for photos/video does not invalidate hobby status. This sounds like just such a case.

Interestingly the FAA memo in question seems to have been removed from the FAA website, but here's a copy. Section III is the relevant part.

I thought that if you you flew under hobbyist rules and someone afterwards wants to buy the video, that was allowed. It was only if you flew with the intention of selling or giving away the the video that would be against the rules.

I question is this company might be looking to simply obtain the rights to advertise that your video is for sale.
I'm beginning to suspect this.

It looks like they have been around a few months, with offices in the UK and Pakistan. What you would want to ask them the following:

Are you selling the copyright to WooGlobe or are they just functioning as your agent?
Would they be the exclusive agent for selling the rights to your video?
Do they have any references?

I would want to know why the "client" didn't contact you directly. If the client saw the video, then they would be able to contact you through YouTube. That part seems suspicious to me.

Even though it turns out to be moot in this case, that's not necessarily correct. Provided that the original intent of the flight was recreational, the FAA has clarified, at least once, that subsequent offers for photos/video does not invalidate hobby status. This sounds like just such a case.

Interestingly the FAA memo in question seems to have been removed from the FAA website, but here's a copy. Section III is the relevant part.

Very suspicious, I used this same memo in a post to others while at the same time I had sent a friendly email to the FAA asking for clarification of same for non media related content taken during hobby flights. They never responded, or perhaps it’s removal is their response. Or maybe they have sent it back to legal to address rewriting it so it is less open to interpretation.

Good catch Sar...

It looks like they have been around a few months, with offices in the UK and Pakistan. What you would want to ask them the following:

Are you selling the copyright to WooGlobe or are they just functioning as your agent?
Would they be the exclusive agent for selling the rights to your video?
Do they have any references?

I would want to know why the "client" didn't contact you directly. If the client saw the video, then they would be able to contact you through YouTube. That part seems suspicious to me.

I know many TV producers / TV channels don't get into the hassle of video acquisition and use the content that has been vetted by the media licensing agencies.

Also these media licensing companies can put your content in front of the producers because of their relationship, which otherwise is very difficult if not impossible. I am speaking this from my experience - I have licensed videos to Jukin, WooGlobe and others in the past

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20