wont fly and i cant figure out why

Reaction score
So i bought a DJI Phantom 1 off my school i had it fly before i bought it i broke the antenna on the transmitter and it put it away not feeling comfortable flying it. when i got it i tried flying it and it wouldn't work it was flashing green lights when i moved the sticks to start but still wouldn't start. I don't have the antenna replaced or fixed and cant find anywhere to soldier it back or buy a new one for a reasonable price. the battery is charged i've got it working ive calibrated it updated it re calibrated the stick in the naza app. any idea on how to fix this

if you powered on the transmitter without an antenna you likely fried the transmitter.

Reactions: Pharm
if you powered on the transmitter without an antenna you likely fried the transmitter.
the antenna just broke its shorter if that matter and i can still go through the satellite calibration and it flashes when i move the sticks to start it up so it get s signal so any ideas im stumped and cant find anything

Can you post a photo of the transmitter showing the broken antenna?
It's hard to tell from your posts how much is broken off from the antenna.

The actual antenna is the wire inside the plastic.
Usually it's the 4 to 5 centimeters on the end that makes up the working part of the antenna.
What affect the break will have depends on how much of the wire has been removed.If only a couple of millimeters is missing it may be OK to fly but range will be affected.
If a couple of centimeters is missing it's best you replace it before flying.
Soldering the broken section back on is not the way to go.

Even with part of the antenna broken away you may have a signal good enough to connect to the Phantom at very close range to do calibrations and such but it might not be good enough to fly safely with it.

When you did the stick calibration you could have not moved the sticks to the full extent of movement at some point and that can result in not being able to start the motors.
Do the stick calibration again making sure you move the sticks slowly and deliberately to the absolute maximum of their range of movement.Don't just move them forward backward and side to side,make as wide a circle as possible with them,all the way around.

Can you post a photo of the transmitter showing the broken antenna?
It's hard to tell from your posts how much is broken off from the antenna.

The actual antenna is the wire inside the plastic.
Usually it's the 4 to 5 centimeters on the end that makes up the working part of the antenna.
What affect the break will have depends on how much of the wire has been removed.If only a couple of millimeters is missing it may be OK to fly but range will be affected.
If a couple of centimeters is missing it's best you replace it before flying.
Soldering the broken section back on is not the way to go.

Even with part of the antenna broken away you may have a signal good enough to connect to the Phantom at very close range to do calibrations and such but it might not be good enough to fly safely with it.

When you did the stick calibration you could have not moved the sticks to the full extent of movement at some point and that can result in not being able to start the motors.
Do the stick calibration again making sure you move the sticks slowly and deliberately to the absolute maximum of their range of movement.Don't just move them forward backward and side to side,make as wide a circle as possible with them,all the way around.
IMG_20160622_123413.jpg

i hope that helps other then that i haven't found anything else that is wrong with the set up thank you for all the help

Sorry to say there's too much missing from the antenna so it would not be advisable to try to fly it like that.There's no telling what might happen and I wouldn't like to see you lose the Phantom.
Look around online for a replacement antenna or transmitter.
Try a post in the classified section of the forum,someone in your region might have one they could part with.
Where are you located?

Heres a guy on Ebay with a ton of used parts search DJI Phantom PARTS LOT - SALVAGE / 2.4GHz Misc Remote Parts UnTested | inv#1-A...and you can also try the2.4G Radio Signal Amplifier /Booster,DJI Phantom transmitter extend long range and its cheaper and new.... good luck and report back....

Last edited:
Sorry to say there's too much missing from the antenna so it would not be advisable to try to fly it like that.There's no telling what might happen and I wouldn't like to see you lose the Phantom.
Look around online for a replacement antenna or transmitter.
Try a post in the classified section of the forum,someone in your region might have one they could part with.
Where are you located?
so i can just buy a whole new antenna instead of a new transmitter right

Heres a guy on Ebay with a ton of used parts search DJI Phantom PARTS LOT - SALVAGE / 2.4GHz Misc Remote Parts UnTested | inv#1-A...and you can also try the2.4G Radio Signal Amplifier /Booster,DJI Phantom transmitter extend long range and its cheaper and new.... good luck and report back....
wheres ths link?

so i can just buy a whole new antenna instead of a new transmitter right
You could if you can find one.
Just so you are aware there are two different types of transmitter for the P1 and yours is the earlier model.There is a later version that has a different set up where the the antenna connects to the circuit board with a plug where yours is soldered directly to the board.
The model number is on the sticker on the back of the transmitter,that will help you to get the right one.
If you find an antennna only,make sure it is for 2.4Ghz.

Reactions: Justin Davis
You could if you can find one.
Just so you are aware there are two different types of transmitter for the P1 and yours is the earlier model.There is a later version that has a different set up where the the antenna connects to the circuit board with a plug where yours is soldered directly to the board.
The model number is on the sticker on the back of the transmitter,that will help you to get the right one.
If you find an antennna only,make sure it is for 2.4Ghz.
but i will be able to use the newer model p1 transmitter on my drone correct

but i will be able to use the newer model p1 transmitter on my drone correct
Yes that should work fine.You will have pair it with the receiver,see the manual.
There are all kinds of 2.4 GhZ antennas you could use. Just strip the end of the coax, and solder the braid and center conductor to the PCB.
True.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers