Won't fly a straight course forward in GPS mode

Reaction score
My Phantom pulls noticeably to the left when I try to fly it straight forward in GPS mode. I also see a bit of the TBE when hovering in GPS mode. The NAZA manual talks about rotating the GPS to remedy that; however, that's clearly not going to happen on this unit with the GPS screwed into the shell the way it is. The manual also states, "Should you find the multi-rotor does not track straight... carry out several more courses, the system will fix itself automatically." Haven't found that to be the case either.

It does seem to fly straight backwards in GPS mode. And when I switch to ATTI mode, it flies perfectly straight in any direction.

I've re-calibrated the compass and performed advanced IMU calibration to no avail.

While I'm trying to spend less time in GPS mode at this point, I would still certainly like for it to fly a straight line when I do use it.

I'm using "perfectly" balanced 8" carbon fiber props (for whatever that's worth), Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal, and the Futaba 8FGS controller.

Any thoughts?

"X" confirmed.

Attachments

• 2013-08-22 10-30-44 PM.jpg
    2013-08-22 10-30-44 PM.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,947
I am experiencing the exact same thing. I am flying with stock everything not even the GoPro mount. I have calibrated and double checked everything. It does appear as if it is flying in almost + mode. I get some pretty bad TBE going on some times. If i fly a few figure 8's before going very far it seems to help with the TBE, but not always. I am wondering if it has to do with being in the far northern hemisphere (Alaska). :?: Firmware Ver 3.14.

See my fix in the Help section. I also had bad TBE, but totally fixed it. My problem was, when flying would get bad TBE, calibrated the compass and sometimes would fix it, fly again same problem, but now with my fix it is pretty rock steady in one place.

justsomeguy said:
Serious question:

Why do folks fly in GPS mode?

Sure, the first few intro flights it's easier but once you have the basics down, why fly in GPS mode with all of the associated problems (jerky video, etc.)?

The obvious reason is it allows you to fly and manage easier when it's windy. Much easier to control, and can fly in much winder conditions then without using GPS.

archersc said:
While I'm trying to spend less time in GPS mode at this point, I would still certainly like for it to fly a straight line when I do use it.

If I buy a new car, I expect all of its features to work as advertised. I may not use the cruise control, but I expect it to be in working condition.

If you just want to tout your superior flying skills or make thinly-veiled insults towards other pilots for flying in GPS mode, please move on. We're trying to solve a problem here.

Not everyone attaches a camera all the time, most of the time I just enjoy flying. And some of us like flying with GPS on, it's a lot easier doing so if it's very windy, your not fighting the sticks, and I have been flying quads in full manual, no automatics at all, but GPS is a very nice feature and mine works well so enjoy it over manual flying. Also I can fly with attn mode and have done so? but perfer GPS, as yet have not crashed my Phantom, and has been said you expect it to work perfectly, and now mine does, so why noy use it, if your not filming, which I do little of.

Not all of use have our cameras stuck on for each flight? Some of us just enjoy flight, so GPS on or off or att makes little difference to your enjoyment does it?

My P2 pulls left also....have not figured out a fix for it yet. Someone in another thread suggested maybe the stick on the remote was not calibrated correctly (ie, slightly off so that although you push it forward, it thinks you are pushing fwd and left). there have been several threads about this pulling to the left problem, although most have found no solution. but you might search the forum for other threads where people have offered suggestions.

CouesWhitetail said:
My P2 pulls left also....have not figured out a fix for it yet. Someone in another thread suggested maybe the stick on the remote was not calibrated correctly (ie, slightly off so that although you push it forward, it thinks you are pushing fwd and left). there have been several threads about this pulling to the left problem, although most have found no solution. but you might search the forum for other threads where people have offered suggestions.

I hope this is on target as I haven't read the entire thread.

In the manual, for NAZA-M and NAZA-M Lite, it shows you how to correct if your MR doesn't fly in a straight path. You turn the GPS antenna a certain degree off center (depending how off course your path is, and in what direction), so if it is normally pointing forward (arrow forward) and and the MR is tracking off course to the right, you would turn the GPS antenna to the left approximately the number of degrees your are off course.

Now the Phantoms GPS antenna is inside the shell and screwed to the top cover. It is covered by a rubber pad that has shielding material in it.

If you want to tempt it (not extremely hard) you can remove the top cover of the Phantom (won't explain that here) pull the rubber pad off the top of the shell so that you can see the GPS antenna, then you have to unscrew the GPS and turn it the number of degrees, and in the direction previously described.

REMEMBER: When you have the Phantom apart, you will be looking at the GPS antenna upside down from the way that it flies!! So if you need to adjust it to the left, you would actually turn it to the right.

In order to secure the antenna to the shell you may have to do some minor fabricating because the screws won't line up anymore.

Don't do this if you are not comfortable with the procedure, find a service center. If the Phantom is under warranty, this procedure will void it, so don't do it in this case either.

Hope this helps... Anthony

What you need to rotate is the compass to compensate for magnetic declination for your region. If it heads to the left, rotate compass slightly to the right.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj