Won a phantom 2 in contest at work!

Reaction score
I won a phantom 2 at work at the end of year Christmas party.

I have zero experience, so I am not even going to try and fly it yet.

1. What is a good training drone to practice on?
2. Is this still as good drone?
3. What modifications should I make to it before I fly it?
4. This model has no camera at all, it would be nice to put one on it.

Many thanks.

I won a phantom 2 at work at the end of year Christmas party.

I have zero experience, so I am not even going to try and fly it yet.

1. What is a good training drone to practice on?
2. Is this still as good drone?
3. What modifications should I make to it before I fly it?
4. This model has no camera at all, it would be nice to put one on it.

Many thanks.

If you P2 with the new controller NDJ6 which has a flight simulator port on the backside. There also a tag on the backside which will tell which controller you have. You might like to practice with.
22in1 RC Flight Simulator USB Dongle Realflight FMS XTR VRC G7 G6-G2 Phoenix 5.0

Yes, it's still a good drone. I fly a P2 and a P3P. Previously, I had a P1.

There are a number of training videos DJI produced, as well as a number of good flight training videos on YouTube. Before I few the P1, I bought a $25 toy helicopter and learned to fly it indoors. Once I was adept at flying around my home without hitting anything, I took the P1 out for a flight. I was amazed at how much harder it was to fly the $25 toy than the P1. Since, when I've trained folks on flying a Phantom, I have them learn to fly using that same toy helicopter. They've had the same reaction once they move up to the Phantom - the Phantom is easy to fly in comparison.

Mounting a camera to your P2 is easy, and as expensive as you want it to be. You can find an inexpensive anti-jello mounting bracket (under $50) that will allow you to attach a GoPro (as much as $500) or SJCam (less than $100). You'll get great stills. Video may be disappointing because the camera will pitch and roll with the P2. Spend a few hundred dollars more, and you can get a gimbal which will keep the camera steady while flying, giving you smooth video. Add a couple hundred more, and you can add First Person View (FPV - seeing what the camera sees). A little soldering may be required as you move up that food-chain.

As I said, you can spend as much as you want.

I suggest buying an extra batter - if not two - so you can get the most enjoyment from the quad. Also, be aware as you add weight, or draw power from the Phantom battery, you're going to reduce your flight times. With my P2, I can get a good 12-15 minute flight running the gimbal and FPV transmitter off the Phantom battery.

Also speaking of batteries, make sure you store them properly - which means never fully charged for long-term storage. Typically, I store mine with somewhere between 30 to 50 percent charge. Otherwise, you're going to damage them.

Thanks for all the advice!

It does have the NDJ6 ! I guess I am lucky. I won't be selling it as I cannot afford the P3 even after selling the P2, I spend all my money on children's needs.

First thing I did was charge the battery like an impatient person. I currently have the P2 powered on, with a fan blowing on it to keep it cold.
It's down to the third bar on the four led scale. I didn't want to chance running the motors with no load (propellers). It's been raining here so
not even able to idle it on the ground.

Any other advice? Someone told me it was a bad idea to get the blade guards a it causes thrust instability at ground level.

It does have the NDJ6 ! I guess I am lucky. I won't be selling it as I cannot afford the P3 even after selling the P2, I spend all my money on children's needs.

First thing I did was charge the battery like an impatient person. I currently have the P2 powered on, with a fan blowing on it to keep it cold.
It's down to the third bar on the four led scale. I didn't want to chance running the motors with no load (propellers). It's been raining here so

Any other advice? Someone told me it was a bad idea to get the blade guards a it causes thrust instability at ground level.

It not a good idea to run that in the house with the props on and do not need a fan to cool it down. To put it in simple terms accidents do not happen they are caused so take the props off. When you have the extra cash go for an FPV system so you know what the craft is doing

If by chance that came with the gimbal and you do not have a camera do not install the gimbal.

I learned the same way. I started with a $20 drone, worked up to a blade nano QX and finally I learned the Estes ProtoX FPV. By the time I purchased my Phantom 3, flying was a piece of cake. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum .
Take your time know the lights and what they are telling you . Go to YouTube you will find a ton of first flight vids .
Read the rules and regulations the FAA wants you to follow .
Be safe & have fun .

I've got prop guards but seldom use them. They add weight, which reduces flight time, slightly. I've not experienced it, but some folks report a less stable bird with the guards.

Guard pros:

1. You can paint at least two of them a bright color so you can better tell the front from the back of the Phantom.
2. They'll protect you if you run into something structural (fence, building, wall, statue). Yes, I've run into a statute once and was not using prop guards. If I had been, the bird wouldn't have crashed. But, fortunately, there was no damage.

Cons:

1. The screws. You have to remove the short screws that mount your motors and use longer screws to secure the prop guards. The guards will come with the longer screws. When you remove the guards, you have to use the short screws again. If you use the long screws, they'll damage your motors when you tighten them snug.
2. The phantom will not fit in most cases or backpacks with the prop guards on. It's a pain changing them in the field.

And just an FYI: For about $30 you can find some quick release prop guard attachments on Shapeways. They're basically a half-cup that the guards mount to, and then slide over the motor arms on your Phantom. In a matter of seconds you can install and remove the prop guards. But, they add even more weight to the phantom. And if you were to hit something hard enough, I image the guards would just pop off. That said, I've got a set and they make putting the guards on fast and easy. But I don't often fly with prop guards. Last time I did was about six months ago when I was flying at a commercial fishing port (with port director's permission). I was being a little more cautious because of all the vertical gear you find on shrimp boats.

I bought a hubsan X4 and I am glad I did, as I have been doing nothing but crash for the past hour.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31