Without auto-focus, images not that great.

Reaction score
Did you guys realize there's no auto-focus on the Phantom 3 Professional? Because there's no auto-focus, the images don't come out as sharp like regular digital cameras.

Anyone know if DJI gonna upgrade their software to include auto-focus?

There's no focus mechanism in the lens - just like there's no aperture.
There's no way to upgrade to include focus and for most of us, being focus-free is one less potential problem.
Everything is in focus from a couple of feet to infinity with the P3 lens.
This is all part of the compromise required to get a camera and gimbal in the air with a small drone.
But because the lens has fixed focus doesn't mean the resulting photos aren't sharp.
I just shot this if you want an example. It looks great on a big 4K monitor.
Check it out full-screen here:
Land - Above & Beyond Photography
682-702a-X2.jpg

@4wd

Hi bud just seen some of your video's on your youtube page, very nice enjoyed the Castleton and the misty morning one, I am just starting out, I have a P2V that I am learning on, and have done about 8 flights now.

So when I feel I have reached a level I am happy with I have a brand new P3P still in the hard case never been flown yet to play with.

I did wedding photography about 10 years ago and still love the art, but this is whole new experience with the aerial shots, so looking forward to some good footage when I use my P3P.
Keep up with the good video.

Flack

@4wd

Hi bud just seen some of your video's on your youtube page, very nice enjoyed the Castleton and the misty morning one, I am just starting out, I have a P2V that I am learning on, and have done about 8 flights now.

So when I feel I have reached a level I am happy with I have a brand new P3P still in the hard case never been flown yet to play with.

I did wedding photography about 10 years ago and still love the art, but this is whole new experience with the aerial shots, so looking forward to some good footage when I use my P3P.
Keep up with the good video.

Flack

Thanks, the P3 is probably going to seem easier if anything as you get far more info back on the tablet, and disconnections are a rarity.
With my previous p2V+ you didn't really dare go much more than 1500 feet unless conditions were perfect.

Autofocus, and optical zoom, both require multiple lens elements, motors, sensors and a processor - all which add weight and fragility.
If you want optical zoom and autofocus then you need a heavy-lift hexacopter and a DSLR.

(If you're reading this, Santa, I want this under the tree.)

Last edited:
One thing that Phantom stills can benefit from is a little post processing love. Shoot in DNG, keep as much of the info as the camera gives you. Contrast and sharpening adjustments can make pictures really pop out but for best results, they require knowledge of what the final image will be viewed at. What looks good full screen on a monitor may not look great in a print or on a iPhone.

If you really want to shoot JPEG, cut back on the sharpening and contrast (same as in movies). But if you are going to post process, there is really no downsides to DNG.

You don't need Photoshop to do this. There are dozens of much simpler pixel level programs that do a good job. If you want a 'great' picture and have the time to develop the skills, I would recommend PS but that is a significant time and money commitment.

Paint.net is a great free tool, I use it a lot for simpler image editing for web design.

Oh. Thank you for the answer. Good to know all of this.
Autofocus, and optical zoom, both require multiple lens elements, motors, sensors and a processor

The parts are so small. I don't think they'll make a major difference.

Meta, are you using any ND filters on that shot? Would you mind sharing some of your settings? That looks amazing!
No .. ND filters are mostly for video and are of limited use for stills.
That was ordinary auto but I made sure to shoot with the sun behind.
Lighting angle can make quite a difference.

No .. ND filters are mostly for video and are of limited use for stills.
That was ordinary auto but I made sure to shoot with the sun behind.
Lighting angle can make quite a difference.

I am still learning, thanks. I try to give as much attention to the photography as the flying.

If you want a shutter and focus i.e. a better camera, you should look at the X5. It's an entirely different price point. For the price, the P3 gives you a decent camera in a fully RTF setup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20