wish list for a forum

Reaction score
I wish people would actually know what they are talking about when they give advise to people needing help. They really need to understand the OPs question. If the Op didn't present it properly, ask again to totally understand the issue. If the answers are just guesses, say so. There are questions I would like to reply to but stay silent because I am not 100% sure. There can only be one correct answer to a particular question but I see so many conflicting answers. I, if not 100 % sure will never answer. I do not want someone to lose their machine because I wanted to get my post count higher.

OP = Original Poster.

There are many case where there is no definitive answer and until other things are ruled out and final answer cannot be given.

Many times the OP does not give sufficient information and so questions are asked to glean more detail.

Monte55 said:
I wish people would actually know what they are talking about when they give advise to people needing help. They really need to understand the OPs question. If the Op didn't present it properly, ask again to totally understand the issue. If the answers are just guesses, say so. There are questions I would like to reply to but stay silent because I am not 100% sure. There can only be one correct answer to a particular question but I see so many conflicting answers. I, if not 100 % sure will never answer. I do not want someone to lose their machine because I wanted to get my post count higer.

I don't know what brought you to this but you know what any forum is... you have to separate the right, informed advice from the BS and see for yourself.
You don't know who is behind a post. Some people believe they are experts in all things, others are clueless, some are here for different reasons than others, some are just reading the OP and not the answers before stating their opinion, be it stupid or redundant.
Over time you can see the reliable guys popping out, and see who you can trust or not.

The P2 is an extremely complex platform with many possible points of failure. One of the main objectives of a forum like PP is to obtain many diverse ideas on what may have caused a problem. I have seen a number of problems solved here using that method. Whenever I hear the word "expert" I internally chuckle. I've been in the IT field for decades and I've met a whole bunch of extremely intelligent, knowledgeable, dedicated people. Not one of them would describe themselves as an "expert", and would laugh out loud if called one.

I've learned nearly as much from people asking questions that seemed "stupid" on the surface, as I have from "experts". They sometimes led me down a path I wouldn't normally have gone down and learned something I probably wouldn't have otherwise. "It takes a village" sounds kind of trite... But in this case... It does. :D

Even the village idiot can occasionally shed some light... :)

-slinger

Monte55 said:
I wish people would actually know what they are talking about when they give advise to people needing help. They really need to understand the OPs question. If the Op didn't present it properly, ask again to totally understand the issue. If the answers are just guesses, say so. There are questions I would like to reply to but stay silent because I am not 100% sure. There can only be one correct answer to a particular question but I see so many conflicting answers. I, if not 100 % sure will never answer. I do not want someone to lose their machine because I wanted to get my post count higer.

It seems that the answer has been given.
Ask the village idiot, this is what the majority agrees apparently. :roll:

I love this forum, but personally, I hope all forums switch over to the stackoverflow.com model. It is superior by an order of magnitude.

dirkclod said:
sergekouper said:
Monte55 said:

It seems that the answer has been given.
Ask the village idiot, this is what the majority agrees apparently. :roll:

[ village idiot ] Not nice to insult People ! And as far as [ this is what the majority agrees apparently ] Pffft

****, I forgot the first degree people... :lol:

Da, village idiot here, what do you want to know? I'm da X-spert! :lol:
CAT! Get off my lap top!

dirkclod said:
[****, I forgot the first degree people... :lol: ] Not real sure what first decree people are :? Care to explain it to me ;)
hmm... Is it possible to know what is your problem exactly?

What I meant is in the post number 4 of this thread.
I didn't start these comments about the village idiot, you should ask the one who brought that up in the first place.

So is it the "second degree" people giving the "first degree" people the "third degree"? :lol:

What were we talking about again?

Couldn't resist. :cool:

I think most people try to be helpful. I try really hard to convey the confidence level I have in my answers. I also admit when I misinterpreted something. I will say that my experience is that a lot of people leave out details when they post a question. For example.. There have been several times when it takes to or three responses before the OP says "oh yeah.. I crashed the other day".

I just think that if you're using a forum.. You need to weigh the responses and choose the ones that make the most sense to you :)

Buckaye said:
I think most people try to be helpful. I try really hard to convey the confidence level I have in my answers. I also admit when I misinterpreted something. I will say that my experience is that a lot of people leave out details when they post a question. For example.. There have been several times when it takes to or three responses before the OP says "oh yeah.. I crashed the other day".

I just think that if you're using a forum.. You need to weigh the responses and choose the ones that make the most sense to you :)
:D well said Buckaye. I have received some great advice on the forum. Many here are veterans and know through experience and are only trying to help.
Obviously, the greatest challenge is our understanding of the language, explanation, and experience of those posting. Whether asking a question or giving an opinion we should take these things into consideration. We should strive to be positive! There is great satisfaction in providing helpful insights for those who just don't know, or relating a positive experience with our hobby.
I like feeding the occasional Troll ( come on, you know who I'm talking about) and moving on to sharing positive experiences.
Overall , I like the Phantom Pilot's Forum and share your enthusiasm for our sport.
Fplvert

As I said,
you know what any forum is... you have to separate the right, informed advice from the BS and see for yourself.
You don't know who is behind a post. Some people believe they are experts in all things, others are clueless, some are here for different reasons than others, some are just reading the OP and not the answers before stating their opinion, be it stupid or redundant.
Over time you can see the reliable guys popping out, and see who you can trust or not.

dirkclod said:
Fplvert said:
Buckaye said:

:D well said Buckaye. I have received some great advice on the forum. Many here are veterans and know through experience and are only trying to help.
Obviously, the greatest challenge is our understanding of the language, explanation, and experience of those posting. Whether asking a question or giving an opinion we should take these things into consideration. We should strive to be positive! There is great satisfaction in providing helpful insights for those who just don't know, or relating a positive experience with our hobby.
I like feeding the occasional Troll ( come on, you know who I'm talking about) and moving on to sharing positive experiences.
Overall , I like the Phantom Pilot's Forum and share your enthusiasm for our sport.
Fplvert
I am truly sorry you think of me this way [Troll = someone who has nothing better to do than make nuisance posts while waiting for their mums to return with more pimple cream.] and wish you had the balls to say my name instead of putting it as you did. Yes I do cut up on here and try to get some laughs as I feel we all not need to be so serious all the time. I have stated that I do so on here several times so folks know I am a joker . I do try and help when I can and have learned so much here I would have never found out any other place. I do take my flying very serious and started not to reply to your very IMO hateful remark. Its like you and several others think your better than anyone else. This place is the first place I come to and the last everyday and always look forward to it to see what has transpired with all. I have never flamed folks or spoke of anyone in any negative way here as many do. This has bothered me all nite and started to just delete my signature and log off and just come here to read but decided as it is not in my nature to run away from a smart *** and I am not now. I do have folks here that I truly respect and when they say something is so then I take it that way. I also feel like I have friends here that know how I like to cut up and they do so back. I also feel like if I have ever been out of line one of the Mods would have let me know and that would have been that. I have never flamed or made derogatory remarks to anyone here I think your statement which I truly believe was aimed at me and maybe I am wrong and if so I do apologize for my little tantrum here was truly not necessary.
And as far as [Troll = someone who has nothing better to do than make nuisance posts while waiting for their mums to return with more pimple cream.] I do not have a mum I have a mom and I do not have pimples ;) If any one else feels as he does I truly apologize to you and will refrain from anymore posting . Nuff said

Dirkclod... Maybe there is a "past" I don't know about and someone is subtly taking shots at you... But having gone back and read this entire thread, I am not sure why you think there is an attack on you? Like I said... Might be some history I'm not aware of... But I have found most of this thread to be general in nature. I'd call myself the village idiot at times and I have been known to make a smarta$$ed comment or two... So it's possible things said here could even refer to me.

For the most part, however, I find that people here are friendly, funny (at times) but mostly helpful. The only things I ever get irritated with is when:

1. Somebody makes a snide comment like "clearly you haven't done any research" - this only bothers me because...it's a pretty big assumption.

2. Somebody pretends they have the ONLY answer to the many holy wars that exist in RC (IE - proper disposal methods of lipos, to calibrate or not to calibrate, political rants)

Other than that... Make a joke.. Debate a point all you want... Sounds like you care what people think, which is a good virtue... Just be conscious about going overboard (as I am sure I have from time to time)

dirkclod said:
Buckaye , Please do not think that was addressing you .
:D Wow, dirkclod, I wasn't addressing anyone on this thread. Not sure why you would make that assumption. :roll:

dirkclod said:
Thank-You for saying that and maybe I took it wrong but it just seemed to be looking that way .

You don't even come close to resembling a troll... :D Chillax, dewd... :)

-slinger

paulajayne said:
Expert

Ex is something that has been and Spurt is a drip under pressure

I'll have to respectfully disagree Paula. A Spurt is...

1. To gush or issue suddenly in a stream or jet, as a liquid.
Or...
2. To show marked, usually increased, activity or energy for a short period.

:D :D :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues