Wisconsin drone restrictions / regulations ???

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be heading up to northern WI at the end of this month for an annual fishing trip. I plan to bring my P3A with me to get some great pictures & videos of the lake we'll be staying on. Does anyone know of any state restrictions / regulations that state of WI has or the WI DNR (department of natural resources)? When I attempted to contact the WI DNR they replied to me via email and stated that I needed to contact the WI Department of Transportation. That doesn't seem correct. Any ideas?

Look up aircraft restrictions. Legally, your P3 is an 'aircraft' and has to obey all the relevant rules. For fishing, I doubt there are many restrictions (don't drop dynamite on the water....) but you never know.

Where at in Wisconsin because I'm going up also and taking my P3P and also staying up on a lake and going fishing

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

yeah just keep in mind the faa for drones no national parks below 400' don't hover over people you should be good there's more to it but these are the ones that's getting people in trouble

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Look up aircraft restrictions. Legally, your P3 is an 'aircraft' and has to obey all the relevant rules. For fishing, I doubt there are many restrictions (don't drop dynamite on the water....) but you never know.

I've already been in touch with the owner of a private grass / field airport nearby. He gave me approval to fly nearby as long as I contact him before flying. I think that if I obey all FAA rules & regulations I should be ok. I just didn't know if the WI DNR has any additional restrictions as it relates to fly over lakes, etc.

Where at in Wisconsin because I'm going up also and taking my P3P and also staying up on a lake and going fishing

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I will be in the Spooner, WI area. I'll primarily be staying on Big McKenzie Lake, but could also be flying near Benoit Lake, Yellow River, etc.

During lunch today I sent an email to the WI DOT. I'm currently waiting their response. I also attempted to call the local DNR office in Spooner, WI. Unfortunately the wait time is too long. I'll have to call back later. I did find this web site: Wisconsin Drone Registration - Drone Registration Application- Start Here that provides registration info and include some WI related tips. For example:

Wisconsin Drone Rules:
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Fly within visual line of sight.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not fly near emergency response efforts, like fires.
  • Do not fly for payment or commercial purpose.
  • Do not fly over groups of people.
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Do not fly over stadiums and sports events.
  • Do not be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft.
  • It is illegal to take photos or record videos of people on private property.
  • Do not use a drone to gather, store or collect evidence of any type.
  • Do not fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructures such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.

All of which seems to be pretty standard to current FAA rules, etc. That web site also has a link to current WI drone legislation: 2013 Senate Bill 196

yeah just keep in mind the faa for drones no national parks below 400' don't hover over people you should be good there's more to it but these are the ones that's getting people in trouble

Not exactly. The rules for not flying in a National Park are not from the FAA. They are from the Park Service itself. As such, they only apply to the operator being on their land. No take off landing or operation from their land. Hovering over people and flying above 400 is from the FAA and applies outside National Parks as well.

Reactions: N017RW
cool yeah I worked with the faa for a number of years then retired they are just trying to keep every one safe

happy flying year I know just giving information on his situation those rules I stated is for every where lol but you can't fly in a national park lol lost in the translation I guess it's all good lol

Earlier today I received an email back from the Aircraft Safety and Registration Program Manager of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation:
================================================================================
Good Morning Mr. Pratali,

Thank you for reaching out to the Bureau of Aeronautics with your question regarding Wisconsin drone regulations and laws.

There are no statewide regulations, except operations over correctional institutions which is prohibited. I highly recommend you contact the Spooner officials and any airports in the area to see if there are local regulations, laws and/or recommendations.

There is the Drone Privacy Protection Act that was signed into law and has been in effect since April 10, 2014.The law requires law enforcement agencies to obtain a warrant prior to using a UAS to collect evidence when an individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy. It also prohibits individuals from using a UAS "with the intent to photograph, record, or otherwise observe another individual in a place or location where the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy."

Apart from any local laws, these are the regulations and laws that I am aware of. I will check with my Chief when he returns to the office and pass along any information he has on this but basically as long as you follow FAA guidelines, stay well away from correctional facilities, don’t interfere with air traffic and aren’t capturing images of someone without their consent, you should be fine.

I hope you have a wonderful time flying your drone during your fishing trip In the beautiful Spooner area. I am sure you will get spectacular pictures of the lake!

Best Regards,

Michele Cumblad
Aircraft Safety and Registration Program Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Bureau of Aeronautics
4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Room 701
Madison, WI 53705
Phone 608-266-9657
[email protected]
===============================================================================

Reactions: El Diablo
very cool this is Wisconsin telling you to follow faa regs good job thanks for sharing, but I am sure I wouldn't be there flying lol

very cool this is Wisconsin telling you to follow faa regs good job thanks for sharing, but I am sure I wouldn't be there flying lol

It's all good...I live here and fly all the time :) No issues anywhere I go. I use that app called UAV forecast. It gives us weather, winds, and shows maps where NFZ are allowed.
Fly safe!

Just an FYI, I believe that the Apostle islands area is technically a national park and thus restricted. Not sure if you were planning on heading up there or not.

There are also a few indian reservations up there in that area. Not sure what the legality of flying over/in those is either.

Reactions: meissner58
Hi All,

I will be heading up to northern WI at the end of this month for an annual fishing trip. I plan to bring my P3A with me to get some great pictures & videos of the lake we'll be staying on. Does anyone know of any state restrictions / regulations that state of WI has or the WI DNR (department of natural resources)? When I attempted to contact the WI DNR they replied to me via email and stated that I needed to contact the WI Department of Transportation. That doesn't seem correct. Any ideas?
There are full restrictions in place in all state parks. Permission must be obtained from the Secretary's office to shoot in the parks and I believe this will limit any commercial use of footage.
Flying related activities - Wisconsin DNR

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20