Wiring A Gimbal With No Instructions

Reaction score
Hey guys. I got one of those Chinese or Japanese made gimbals off of ebay. It shipped from Hong Kong Japan. It came with no instructions and the cable it came with to connect it to the naza has loose ends. Control cable has 5 tiny connectors of each end and there are 6 pins exposed for connections between the mounting plates. There's a power cable that is connected to the circuit board.

Has anyone else gotten one of these $90 gimbals similar to mine and figured how to hook it up? Or might someone know a link to information that explains it well? I have looked myself with no luck.

Thanks

jasperthayer said:

This might work. Thank you. The colors of the wires in the video are different, but they're the same type of individual connectors. I'll have to view it again and see if I can figure it out. Still hoping for more answers. I'm sure there are others that have done the same or similar gimbal on their phantom.

I have purchased one off ebay that is in shipping right now.
I emailed the compnay that sold it to me for instructions, which they sent through email.

I was surprised when I looked at it, it seems fairly detailed, if you can code their broken english.
Even has diagrams.

You can try to email them.

Be careful plugging in the f2 port, one guy reveresed the wires and he states fried the gimbal.

jasperthayer said:
RenoReno said:
Still hoping for more answers. I'm sure there are others that have done the same or similar gimbal on their phantom.

Not sure what "more answers" you're looking for, but don't hold your breath given the limited information you've provided thus far.

I appreciate what you sent me Jasper. Thanks so much! Sorry for being rude. I noticed in my reply to your post that I didn't even say thank you. Not like me at all. I've got pics I can attach, but I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure how to attach images that are on my hard drive. I don't have them anywhere that I can insert a url or link for.

So I've figured out some of it. The power wire attaches to an auxiliary/accessory power wire that's tucked up under a grommet by one of the landing legs. That part is easy enough. I've seen that it's also a good idea to split that to 2 connectors if later plans include setting it up for fpv.

I've also learned that there's a 7th channel in the transmitter for a tilt control. I've ordered the tilt control and it looks pretty straight forward to install.

From videos I've seen it looks like the gimbal tilt wires connect to F2 on the naza controller and there's 3 pins in the connector. Two of those pins connect to 2 of the wires that connect to 2 of the 6 pins on the control board. This enables the tilt motor on the gimbal to tilt up and down to change the view of the camera.

The part I'm challenged with at this point is figuring out which pins in the naza I connect the 2 wires to and then which of the 6 connectors on the gimbal control board I connect those 2 wires to.

What a jigsaw puzzle. It's fun though figuring it out and I really appreciate everything everyone has posted trying to help me out. Very helpful group of folks here on the forum.

Thanks Jasper. I've attached the pics.

Attachments

• gimbal and power wire.jpg
    gimbal and power wire.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 535
  • gimbal connnectors.jpg
    gimbal connnectors.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 541
  • wire pic.jpg
    wire pic.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 420
You only need one wire for pitch control

As Jasper stated there are markings for roll and pitch. Specifically FC_ROLL, FC_PITCH, RX_ROLL and RX_PITCH. You can see the markings in the attached picture. The box marked on the board around the markings for pitch and roll leads to another printed box with 12 connections in it. 6 are empty and not attached to anything. The other 6 attach to the 6 pins that extend out the left side.

I can tell which pins go to which connections of those 12, I'm not real sure which is which though.

Then which pin or pins do I attach to in the naza.

Sorry for what might seem like dumb questions to those of you in the know. I just don't want to hook up something wrong and cause damage to either the naza or the gimbal.

Thanks

Attachments

• circuit board.jpg
    circuit board.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 479
Have you checked out the youtube detailed instructional videos for this device? There are several, very detailed ones, that kind posters have taken time to compose and post. They make the basic hook up look quite simple. I am awaiting my "goodluck" gimbal arrival. I would hope that the main difference between this 'cheap gimbal' and the much more expensive ones, is the slow delivery and lack of instructions.

JeffHVT said:
Have you checked out the youtube detailed instructional videos for this device? There are several, very detailed ones, that kind posters have taken time to compose and post. They make the basic hook up look quite simple. I am awaiting my "goodluck" gimbal arrival. I would hope that the main difference between this 'cheap gimbal' and the much more expensive ones, is the slow delivery and lack of instructions.

Thanks Jeff. I have checked the youtube videos and there's plenty of them for sure. I haven't found one that shows a hookup to the exact same gimbal as mine. Very close in appearance on most of them, but ever so slightly different electrical connections on the board. I sent a message to the seller through ebay and they're supposed to be sending a manual to my email. Hopefully I put this jigsaw puzzle together with that. If I still can't figure it out, I'll just get another gimbal that I know for sure I'll be able to hook up. A lot of folks have offered advice here. Hopefully once I've gotten it all figured out, I can some day offer good advice to someone else as so many others have done for me. Great forum, good people!

dz8fhp said:
Please try this link - I was able to find the instructions for the "Cheerwing" Gimbal I purchased through Amazon

http://docs.askives.com/gopro-gimbal-camera-mount.html

Excellent link. Thanks! The Cheewing looks identical. Slight difference on the control board. There's has 2 bigger chips, mine has a bunch of small ones. Everything else on the board looks the same. This one might do the trick. Much appreciated!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31