Wireless repeater damage?

Reaction score
Hi,

I made the 5dbi TP-link antenna mod for the wireless extender but without realizing I had the repeater powered on without screwing the antenna on. To my knowledge its really bad to have a RF transmitter powered on without an antenna screwed in. Since the extender has two built in antennas, one of them was still connected though, so do you know if that would prevent any damage. I am not sure if its 2 built antennas connected to one source or 2 antennas connected to two different sources. I am unsure if not screwing the external tp-link antenna would cause partial damage to the repeater. I am not getting quite the results I was expecting with this mod - getting about 400-450 m max distance with some some hiccups on the video feed after 300-350 m (320x240 30fps)

yoceto said:
Hi,

I made the 5dbi TP-link antenna mod for the wireless extender but without realizing I had the repeater powered on without screwing the antenna on. To my knowledge its really bad to have a RF transmitter powered on without an antenna screwed in. Since the extender has two built in antennas, one of them was still connected though, so do you know if that would prevent any damage. I am not sure if its 2 built antennas connected to one source or 2 antennas connected to two different sources. I am unsure if not screwing the external tp-link antenna would cause partial damage to the repeater. I am not getting quite the results I was expecting with this mod - getting about 400-450 m max distance with some some hiccups on the video feed after 300-350 m (320x240 30fps)

With both ports modded I had the power on the repeater with no antennas in it for an undertimed amount of time maybe as much as half an hour, yet no apparent I'll effects from it. Its not reccomended to be powered up without antennas as it increases the chance that damage can occur but it would probably take a long time for any to occur and not just a few minutes so I wouldn't sweat it. I made the same mishap with the vision camera having one port accidentally disconnected while on for a half hour with no apparent I'll effect.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic