Winter here - warm batteries tip

Reaction score
Hi, I recently flew around our local hydro electric dam (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
) but the temperature was barely above freezing, it was about 2c.

To ensure my batteries weren't too cold for flight I cooked up some porridge, double bagged it in sealable freezer bags, then put it in a chilly bin under a couple of tea-towels. I then placed my batteries on that and covered them with another tea towel. When I went to use them on site the P 4 reported back that the battery temp was 20c (70f). Perfect.

One other tip is to let the porridge sit in the bin for a few minutes to warm up the inside, then before I put the batteries in I wiped off the resulting condensation from the inside walls.

After the I'd returned home I went to the local duck pond and fed them the porridge...the loved it! I could have eaten it myself, but I think the ducks appreciated it more.

Anyway, the batteries were nice and warm, it was only my fingers that were cold!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

good to know , and i like porridge. i was thinking about trying some of those gel hand warmers after i went outside the house and took off only to get out 100m and get a warning come up ''dont fly battery too cold". i guess it cooled down in the air on our cold mornings. i love the panning reveal shot down the dam.

How far is the take off spot from your vehicle? Why not keep them warm in your vehicle and then put one under your armpit for a few seconds before using it in the Phantom?

This porridge things sounds complicated. What if the porridge is too cold or too hot? It's a one in three chance that it's just right. Then there are those pesky bears that seem to want it all of the time.

Reactions: farmernz
I'd rather spend $3 making some porridge than run the car and burn $10 of gas. I have just found my wife's wheat bag that goes in the microwave, will try that next time - sorry ducks.

No bears here, only Taniwha!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic