winter flying

Basically what you the pilot can live with !

We fly here in Baltics regularly in the -10 ... -15C winter. Of course we use heated lipo bags, thin gloves etc. to combat it.

With the Phantom - the issue is the IMU .... keeping battery's warm is not a problem ... but when you plug in, power up - you have to wait for IMU to warm up for flight. We try all sorts like pre-warming in the car etc. - but still we wait for warming up when powered up.
Once warmed up though - all is fine.

For take-off / landing on snow .... I use a carpet section that I just lay on the snow.

Nigel

cold IMU calibration![emoji6]

It is discussed about calibrating IMU at cold temp ... as it is reported that calibration temperature is taken as its base mark.
ie if you calibrate at +30C .... then when you go out in +20C weather ... IMU needs to warm up another 10C ...

Is this true ? I don't know ...

What I do know - is that I fly in very cold conditions with n o problem at all ...

Here's just an example ...

Nigel

It is discussed about calibrating IMU at cold temp ... as it is reported that calibration temperature is taken as its base mark.
ie if you calibrate at +30C .... then when you go out in +20C weather ... IMU needs to warm up another 10C ...

Is this true ? I don't know ...

What I do know - is that I fly in very cold conditions with n o problem at all ...

Here's just an example ...

Nigel
Same here, I am Canadian living in Northern Ontario and if I want to fly more than 8 months a year cold weather is the norm. I make sure my craft and batteries are 20c and over an take off, I don't putter around, I get going and the battery warms up nicely. At - 20c (My coldest so far) cruising at 30mph the battery will warm up to around 44c and I get the same fly time as in summer. My biggest problem is cold hands because I have to use thin gloves to feel the sticks.

Reactions: crashnhike
That is the problem .... cold hands ... I too use thin gloves that give me about 10 - 15mins respite from the cold. But another problem is trying to get touch screen to work on the tablet ... they don't like cold !! and of course you need fingertips to touch screen.

I have so-called screen gloves - with special tips ... fine in reasonable weather - but useless in real cold ... combination of gloves insensitivity and screens cold ...

Nigel

Reactions: crashnhike
I’m in Ontario, Canada as well. I can’t wait to fly my P3S this winter. Hopefully we will get lots of snow. I plan on getting out on the ice to get some shots of the ice huts and on the snowmobile trails to find some new launch sites. Also, would love to try Litchi’s Track mode while out on my X-country skis.

I have a pair of MEC touch friendly gloves and like Nigel said they can be finicky in really cold temps, same with the iphone - it slows right down.

Nigel, that ice that you shot doesn’t look too thick!

Chris

The ice on our river gets to 0.5 - 1m thick ..... its clean fresh water river - so ice is like glass.
Sometimes the guys drills are not long enough literally !

Nigel

Reactions: Chrislaf

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4