Winter flying hand warmer

Reaction score
I agree with others that winter provides a great opportunity to get some wonderful photos. My problem was keeping my hands warm. With help from my better half we designed and constructed a hand warmer by slitting open a hand warming muff and adding some fabric and Velcro closures. It works great. The controller generates a small amount of heat that makes it very comfortable.
Operation of the controller was easy. You need to add the extra fabric to give yourself enough room to maneuver the controls.
8C7BC385-E91B-492C-97C5-099551EB17A7.jpeg
853C30C3-7F8F-4C4D-BBB8-2E8D2157297F.jpeg

Reactions: awasos21
I flew yesterday and cut the index finger tips off to feel the controls with a hand warmer in side. I am very happy with the results in the 17 deg.F (-8 C) weather. What surprised me was the gloves where a spandex, rubber gloves that I use for soldering pipes. They are very hand conforming with great dexterity.

I have cut off gloves bought in a horse riding gear store, they work very well. I also have a USB hand-warming "pebble" bought on Amazon, as a back up.

I agree with others that winter provides a great opportunity to get some wonderful photos. My problem was keeping my hands warm. With help from my better half we designed and constructed a hand warmer by slitting open a hand warming muff and adding some fabric and Velcro closures. It works great. The controller generates a small amount of heat that makes it very comfortable.
Operation of the controller was easy. You need to add the extra fabric to give yourself enough room to maneuver the controls.
View attachment 108025View attachment 108026
Looks brilliant well done

I have cut off gloves bought in a horse riding gear store, they work very well. I also have a USB hand-warming "pebble" bought on Amazon, as a back up.
I’ve tried the gloves with the tips that fold back for both drone flying and regular photography. I can’t keep warm. Poor circulation I guess.

[QUOTE="RaptorsView, post: 1422867, member: 111260"I can’t keep warm. Poor circulation I guess.[/QUOTE]

I'm exactly the same, TBH. My hands are cold right now, indoors sat next to a radiator. Reynaud's disease, I think it's called. But, the gloves, and hand warmer help. I'm flying my P4A tomorrow, and will be outdoors for up to 2 hours, on the West of Ireland with a chill factor of 7 degrees C. So, wish me luck!

[QUOTE="RaptorsView, post: 1422867, member: 111260"I can’t keep warm. Poor circulation I guess.

I'm exactly the same, TBH. My hands are cold right now, indoors sat next to a radiator. Reynaud's disease, I think it's called. But, the gloves, and hand warmer help. I'm flying my P4A tomorrow, and will be outdoors for up to 2 hours, on the West of Ireland with a chill factor of 7 degrees C. So, wish me luck![/QUOTE]
I’m envious. We were in Ireland in 2017. Definitely a photo op rich destination. Wish I’d have had a drone with me then. We were in the Kinsale area, but we have been on the west coast too. Beautiful country!

I’m envious. We were in Ireland in 2017. Definitely a photo op rich destination. Wish I’d have had a drone with me then. We were in the Kinsale area, but we have been on the west coast too. Beautiful country!

I'm on Valentia Island in the far west of Kerry (most westerly point in Europe actually). I know West Cork, though. If you're ever back this way, come and fly my drone!

If you really have the Raynaud desease you shuld be more carefull about doing anything in a cold weather.

Hands are one thing, ipad is another. Anyone come up with a rig to keep an air 2 or similar warm and happy so it doesn't shut down in the cold?

Mounting the controller on a tripod will relieve you of the chore of having to hold on to and support the weight of the controller. And you will stay somewhat warmer, besides being a wonderful convenience.

My hands hurt for days after out taking photos, but it won't stop me. I like the idea of the mit and might give it a shot. For shooting with my DSLR I use thin gloves inside mittens that open with fingers exposed, but had problems with the fabric hanging on the joysticks of the drone controller. This photo taken 2 days ago at about 12deg F with the drone hurt for about 24 hours using the finger-less mittens without the gloves to protect my fingers

Attachments

• 12w.jpg
    12w.jpg
    963.4 KB · Views: 450

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj