Wind Speed Considerations

Reaction score
What wind speeds do people consider safe for flying? For example, what would be the upper speed for safe flight, assuming a steady speed? I appreciate that gusts change the safety margin considerably. Today in my area they are projected to be 15mph. I imagine this is well within the limits of the P4?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What wind speeds do people consider safe for flying? For example, what would be the upper speed for safe flight, assuming a steady speed? I appreciate that gusts change the safety margin considerably. Today in my area they are projected to be 15mph. I imagine this is well within the limits of the P4?
15 mph is well withing the Phantom's ability.
Phantoms can handle more wind than most owners realise.
With object avoidance off, your P4 can do about 35 mph without even going to sport mode.
It can hold position quite well in winds up to around 30 mph but flying against a wind of that strength would kill the speed and battery life.
Flying away any distance with a strong tailwind is a good way to come home without your drone.
It's much safer to fly away into a headwind and come home with it behind you.
Landing and taking off can also get hairy in strong winds.

Reactions: Fitcherama
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not a Phantom 4, it's a Phantom 2 but you get the basic concept of the idea.

I would also suggest hand launching and hand landing if the winds are high to avoid tipping over and damaging the props or the arms.

Last edited:
That guy is funny. I like him. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.