Wind limitations?

Reaction score
Anyone know the wind limitations on the Phantom 3 Pro? What's the max wind gusts you've flown in? Or is it just an educated guess and judgement call?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have flown my standard in 20-25 mph winds with gusts over 30 mph. GPS still holds it in one spot but it's hard to get steady pictures. If you fly in higher winds, I would recommend flying upwind and do whatever you want there so if there is an unexpectedly high gust (over 35mph,) It will be carried back to you rather than away.
All P3 models are the same when it comes to speed and flight performance.

Reactions: beamerbuilder1
I've flown p3p in 30mph wind and gusts over 45mph. held its ground going into head wind crawling at 5mph but came back at 63mph!!!

a514a8b5212e02ae8d3a75bf0d92d039_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You guys are brave! I tried in about 17 knot winds today and could hardly land it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should also always take care of the wind direction and first go against the wind. Then go back faster with the wind help. So the evaluation by the GO app of the safe return point is a worst case. If you do the opposite, then evaluation will be wrong and you can have issue on the way back.

Reactions: beamerbuilder1
Anyone else have experience in windy conditions? Trying to get an idea of rough wind limits. When do things start getting hairy on take-off/landing? What about in flight? Sounds like data/imaging starts to suffer at 20 knots?

Above 20 mph I am leery of getting too far from me. I have tested the P3PRO with my 65 MPH rated gas powered blower...that was fun.
There was no natural wind and at a 6 foot hover with GPS on I ramped up the blower from about 5 feet away. It did really well but it did start to lose positioning at about 50 MPH from the blower. I should film it and post a video...but I am too busy actually flying to do that. Cheers!

Reactions: Neon Euc
The motors on my p3 do not all spool down at the same speed. If you notice the same situation I advise only operating in a no or very low wind condition as my drone has upset twice on landing fortunately no damage.

The motors on my p3 do not all spool down at the same speed. If you notice the same situation I advise only operating in a no or very low wind condition as my drone has upset twice on landing fortunately no damage.

Just to clarify, what do you mean 'on landing'? Actually as you land or when you switch off the motors?

If the latter, are you using CSC (Centre Stick Command) or just pulling the left joystick down for 3 seconds to switch off the motors?

The first mistake your making is landing if there is any wind at all. I always hand catch and the pull straight down on the left joy stick for 3 seconds. Landing is fine if you have prop guards on your aircraft, but otherwise you risk damage to your props, and burning up a motor or two. By the way if you tip over, i would immediately swap out any props that touched the ground. Its not worth finding out that one was damaged while your drone is 200 feet up.
Fly safe

Wow.....hand catch, so I guess you hover at about five feet and grab it then decrease the throttle ....I will try it.

I normally land on the grass in my yard, but the last several times as I ****** the throttle very close to the ground engine A reduces to a no lift speed but engine C is still producing lift so I have the drone trying to flip over, this air catch sounds interesting .

Above 20 mph I am leery of getting too far from me. I have tested the P3PRO with my 65 MPH rated gas powered blower...that was fun.
There was no natural wind and at a 6 foot hover with GPS on I ramped up the blower from about 5 feet away. It did really well but it did start to lose positioning at about 50 MPH from the blower. I should film it and post a video...but I am too busy actually flying to do that. Cheers!
Someone had a similar idea, albeit using a P4 - but the principle is the same.

Anyone else have experience in windy conditions? Trying to get an idea of rough wind limits. When do things start getting hairy on take-off/landing? What about in flight? Sounds like data/imaging starts to suffer at 20 knots?

Yes. Before the wind reaches a consistent 20 mph or so, I either don't go out or call it quits if I'm out there.
Another problem is that if, for any reason, you either need to be or accidentally end up in ATTI mode, your phantom might hold it's altitude just fine, but the wind will start blowing it all over the place. If you happen to be near some big trees and let the wind start slapping your phantom around....
'Nuff said!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Reactions: monkeychops

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20