Will there ever be a time when drone flying is totally illegal?

I for one am thinking that the only way to protect my investment is to get a UAV pilot qualification. I understand the fears of our community that we could all be regulated to a stand still, but I believe blanket banning will not happen.

We should all be trying our best to comply with the law and regulations wherever we are otherwise the adverse press on "drones" will drone on to a clamour.

Controversial, I know, but should this and other forums be glorifying the distance and height competition that many seem to be engaged with? This can only add fuel to a regulatory fire that has already been lit? It seems to me that we should present a positive face to the public and authorities and not post videos that which clearly show illegal behaviour.

Reactions: nickyb
I for one am thinking that the only way to protect my investment is to get a UAV pilot qualification. I understand the fears of our community that we could all be regulated to a stand still, but I believe blanket banning will not happen.

We should all be trying our best to comply with the law and regulations wherever we are otherwise the adverse press on "drones" will drone on to a clamour.

Controversial, I know, but should this and other forums be glorifying the distance and height competition that many seem to be engaged with? This can only add fuel to a regulatory fire that has already been lit? It seems to me that we should present a positive face to the public and authorities and not post videos that which clearly show illegal behaviour.
Apart from the UAV license, the user will need also to factor in insurance for the UAV, yearly renewal premiums plus (probably) yearly updates to the pilots license. Then it will be completely out of range to 90% of law abiding pilots.

I'll have a hoverboard by then. Technically it wont be "unmanned". Take my own god-**** pictures. Just hope guns are outlawed by then.

I just hope we don't end up like the RC guys who just loop around and around at a dedicated airfield.

in arabia u will be tortured and beaten to death if they just found the app on ur phone....

Apart from the UAV license, the user will need also to factor in insurance for the UAV, yearly renewal premiums plus (probably) yearly updates to the pilots license. Then it will be completely out of range to 90% of law abiding pilots.
This would be a very sad day indeed! But if recreational drone flying isn't to be regulated or priced to a stop, then we all need a powerful lobby to promote its safe and legal practice.

One of my major worries is that many of our posts show fascination with range extenders enabling distance and height exploits well beyond the legal limits of most countries. These could become evidence that these practices are widespread and the norm and hasten the day that our enjoyment is curtailed or stopped altogether. We need to think long term in terms of impact on our hobby/sport.

I'm 100% for licensing..... but until then... smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

It's already a done deal that they'll be clamped down on drastically... nothing that anyone can do about that... unless something REALLY big happens in the news... earthquake in LA... Ebola breakout in the lower 48... some type of real news.

I think of them as disposable.... psychologically I am prepared for them ripping the keys out of my hands.

As for licensing .. what would that achieve anyway?

Formality and regulation.
Maybe "they" cannot make it illegal ..maybe not...but they can make laws which set manufacturers specifications. My mum a serious dog lover would never have thought that it would be unlawful to keep certain breeds or have .iD chips inserted to track their owners!
The first "horseless carriages" did not have light, brakes or much else? In the UK.. To control their speed a law was passed forcing the vehicles driver to a man walking in front with a red flag! Now look at how motoring is controlled and a mega source of income to so many different branches of sakes and legislation.
They can and will set out to control the use of quads ...unless something is done by....those who act responsibly! See my post in general discussions...

What we need to do is to make a really nice video call it " drones and what we really do" once we get it right showing our flying and those who do it right have everyone flood the media with it and all the social networks. Get some good or out there. Any one willing to help?
Needs to be a short 1-2 minute video

What we need to do is to make a really nice video call it " drones and what we really do" once we get it right showing our flying and those who do it right have everyone flood the media with it and all the social networks. Get some good or out there. Any one willing to help?
Needs to be a short 1-2 minute video

Here's one I compiled

Here's one I compiled

that's awesome... now let's put that up against a responsible flying video... how many of views would each one get I wonder?

I'll never be the guy in the "fun" video... but they sure are fun to watch... MUCH more entertaining!

I support licensing as long as it's a two-way street.

If we are licensed into a database and pay fees, I would expect that we get an immediate $XXXX liability insurance or something like the AMA does for its members. Fees are 59 - 79 a year (depends on sales) so it's not breaking the bank. And a Safety Vest (idea from another member) that shows something "official" so people go away.

I also think that it could have some value added features such as an integrated app to upload flight logs (at your discretion) for immediate analyzation in the event you, or anyone else with your permission, needs them.

According to the European Aviation Safety Agency, we should have EU-wide deregulation on all drones up to 20kg, hobby and commercial.
You will only need a license for special circumstances like flying over crowds at concerts, etc. This should come into effect later this year.
Would be a nice Xmas present.

According to the European Aviation Safety Agency, we should have EU-wide deregulation on all drones up to 20kg, hobby and commercial.
You will only need a license for special circumstances like flying over crowds at concerts, etc. This should come into effect later this year.
Would be a nice Xmas present.
I hope your right.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20