Will the P2V+ Fly without the Camera with WiFi & GPS working?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently traded a fellow buddy my R/C car for his Phantom 2 Vision+, but the thing is the camera was damaged from a prior crash he did and the camera is dead in the water. So I removed the 3 wire plugs and removed it. I tested flying it in my house with a basic hover just using the remote with not app use yet..

P2V_1.jpg P2V_2.jpg P2V_3.jpg P2V_4.jpg

My buddy told me that the WiFi and GPS may fail to work being the camera is on a closed loop, but being the camera PC Board cracked, he would not test it anyway. So now I have it and removed it with 3 dangling plugs.

My question is this, do I need the camera plug in to get the power to flow to the WiFi and GPS? and if so, dose anyone know how I can get power to the WiFi & GPS without the camera attached so I can fly it safely with all the Failsafe options working as well as the CL, HL & Return to Home functions working?

I would be most grateful for your help please. Thank you kindly.

All telementry data and video come through the wifi extender to the Phantoms Wifi Tx through the closed loop of the camera. All the other function will still work without that feed. You have to fly visual line of sight. The GPS and home lock still work but you have to verify you have 6+ satellites and home lock via the rear LEDs.
Their is a way to rewrite the Phantom Tx to get telementry without the camera loop by bypassing that connection. I'd you do a search on you tube or the forum you may be able to find the info to do it. It had to do with unplugging the video feed from the camera and re routing it to the main board if I remember correctly.
I'd any of you have run across it and can post a link on here it would help Drone Quads out.
Good luck and happy flying.
Have you checked eBay for a replacment PCB board, just a thought.

Hi RoyLa, thank you very much for the info and help. I'll do a search as you said in hopes to find that thread. You mentions about looking for another PCB board, I wonder, If I buy a replacement PCB board and just plugged the wire strip plugs back onto it if it would close the look and everything work less the Video Feed? Might that work with the board alone maybe? the camera is totally toasted... that's for sure..

Thanks again for your help and time, I am grateful!

Hi Royla, I think this may be what your telling me about, I found this in an older thread to get power back to the Wi-Fi unit for telemetry to show on the Vision App without the camera or gimbal attached..

"This will void the warranty as you will be splitting the 3 grey cables. Open up the phantom and take off the USB mount. Remove the double sided tape and pull the 3 sets of cable up and split them. Take the widest cable that is still plugged into the WIFI module and re-route that back into the CAM port of the Phantom Main Board. You should now have power. To test, it should now have telemetry."

Do this think this may work or has anyone out there tried it yet?

Hi Royla, I think this may be what your telling me about, I found this in an older thread to get power back to the Wi-Fi unit for telemetry to show on the Vision App without the camera or gimbal attached..

"This will void the warranty as you will be splitting the 3 grey cables. Open up the phantom and take off the USB mount. Remove the double sided tape and pull the 3 sets of cable up and split them. Take the widest cable that is still plugged into the WIFI module and re-route that back into the CAM port of the Phantom Main Board. You should now have power. To test, it should now have telemetry."

Do this think this may work or has anyone out there tried it yet?

Yup.
It will work.
The 2 wide cables coming down to the gimbal board is simply bridging the connection. If you remove the gimbal board, then there is no power to the wifi module. All you need to is redirect the power from the CAM port to the wifi module. If you do this mod, you are half way to setting up a H33D gopro on a Vision Plus.

The guys on RCGROUP discovered this.
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus 2.4ghz Wifi Module - wiring diagram / camera connection - Page 17 - RC Groups

Yup.
It will work.
The 2 wide cables coming down to the gimbal board is simply bridging the connection. If you remove the gimbal board, then there is no power to the wifi module. All you need to is redirect the power from the CAM port to the wifi module. If you do this mod, you are half way to setting up a H33D gopro on a Vision Plus.

The guys on RCGROUP discovered this.
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus 2.4ghz Wifi Module - wiring diagram / camera connection - Page 17 - RC Groups
Hey Mako ot my P2v+ yesterday after a month sleep now my WiFi is messing ,my phone takes longer to find PHwifi and got black screen and connect.. to phantom Failed, is a bad WiFi module or cable plug error? module has the Arctic mode an open the side vents, just want an Idea where to start to trouble shutte it Thanks
Mar

Hey Mako ot my P2v+ yesterday after a month sleep now my WiFi is messing ,my phone takes longer to find PHwifi and got black screen and connect.. to phantom Failed, is a bad WiFi module or cable plug error? module has the Arctic mode an open the side vents, just want an Idea where to start to trouble shutte it Thanks
Mar

Do you get telemetry?
Read up below. See if you can ping 192.168.1.1 for RE700 and ping 192.168.1.10 for module (I cant remember) by connecting to the Phantom's wifi via a wireless laptop.
cant connect to wifi ssid

no telemetry did open the module as far as i can see no chips burn, al telemetry i got is the extender been 100 believes is charged

Mako is working now just open it up unplug,pug did the trick,
Thanks mate

Mako79 I think that you are wrong here. I have also tried to ping those things but without the original camera and whole gimbal. 192.168.1.1 pings ok, 192.168.1.2 pings ok BUT you CANNOT ping 192.168.1.10 since that is the camera itself I think. On rcgroups someone told me that this is the way for checking if the WiFi module is good and when I told that I dont have ping for 192.168.1.10 they told me that WiFi is bad. But I dont have that ping on new module so I am just saying that people without original camera WILL NOT be able to ping that address 192.168.1.10.

Also, I sprayed those cable plugs with contact and then plugged, couldnt hurt I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan