Will the new firmware v3.08 reduce the number of fly-aways?

Reaction score
I've been holding myself for a very long time now to buy a DJI Phantom 2 plus because of horror stories I read from this forum about fly aways. However, last October 2014, a new v3.08 firmware has been released which seems to solve most of the Home Point issues that cause some of the flyaways. Particularly, they have introduced a Dynamic home point: when using a GPS-enabled mobile device and running the VISION app, the Home Point will automatically be reset to the location of the device every 2 seconds during flight.

Are the new owners of P2+ seeing this benefit from the new firmware actually works?

Re: Will the new firmware v3.08 reduce the number of fly-awa

rafaelg40 said:
I've been holding myself for a very long time now to buy a DJI Phantom 2 plus because of horror stories I read from this forum about fly aways.
How many flyaways are we talking about? One or two dozen?
How many Phantoms has DJI sold in the same timeframe? One dealer did the math and interpolated his sales across all dealers and came up with a guess of about ten thousand a month leading up to Christmas.

The odds are in your favor that you will never see a flyaway.

SteveMann said:
rafaelg40 said:
I've been holding myself for a very long time now to buy a DJI Phantom 2 plus because of horror stories I read from this forum about fly aways.
How many flyaways are we talking about? One or two dozen?
How many Phantoms has DJI sold in the same timeframe? One dealer did the math and interpolated his sales across all dealers and came up with a guess of about ten thousand a month leading up to Christmas.

The odds are in your favor that you will never see a flyaway.

To really figure the odds, we need to know the total number of whichever model, we want to analyze. I suspect that just because we don't get a lot of reports of flyaways, doesn't necessary mean that is the norm. I suspect there are many owners who won't consider joining a forum, if they do, there are two other such forums.

Also, how many new owners, who had flyaways, would come here to report they lost their Phantom? I suspect most will think it was due to some error they made. So, I don't know how anyone can come up with a true representation of the number of flyways, then figuring out how many were not due to pilot error? I doubt we will ever get an accurate number.

As for my opinion, my buying a GPS tracker is money well spent!

PhantomFanatic said:
As for my opinion, my buying a GPS tracker is money well spent!

No doubt, PF. I'd also suggest a logger like a Flytrex core, or an all-in-one unit like the Flytrex Live. I'm starting to sound like a paid promoter, but I REALLY like my purchase of the Flytrex Live 3G.

As to the OP question, yes. The new software has reduced the number of flyaways, but you have to read the manual, understand the modes, and even then, no flying machine has ever been perfect.

Welcome to the forum rafaelg40

It is impossible to say without reliable data, but if you go on the amount of noise in forums about flyaways (which is not necessarily an accurate representation, but it is one), they seemed very busy indeed between January and July last year and then they stemmed to a trickle if anything at all.

In fact anything which does appear these days is deafened by discussions over ESCs - which seems to be the current hot topic.

The thing about fly aways is that it is and always has been important to do your preflight checks properly in order to reduce your chances of getting one. In addition even if you have properly calibrated IMU/GPS/Compass, flying near any radio transmitter towers, high voltage cables etc will make you vulnerable.

It's not a perfect world, but it's close if you follow procedures.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4