Will the Butterflies ever leave?

Reaction score
I have taken my P3P up for about 5-6 times now and taking it really slow. I mostly take it to an empty parking lot which is really cool. It has the painted lines for parking spaces which makes for a great visual as far as keeping it straight. I take it about 10 ft high, and go out about 100 ft and just do a square type pattern and bring it back. I will then just take it straight up to about 250 ft and hover, pan it 360 degrees and bring it straight down. I am doing all of this in P mode and have not attempted a "real flight" yet as I plan to do a lot of practicing in ATTI mode before my maiden voyage. I also want to practice the F mode for the Course Lock feature as well but havent had enough time to really play with it. Its really hot now in Texas so I keep the flights short.

But holy bat ***** Batman, I get butterflies every time I take it up. But in a good way. LOL. Do you experienced flyers still get em?

Every time I fly.

But consider this... what is going to happen 250' up and 2000' out that is not going to happen 50' above that parking lot?

Still, take it slow and do what you feel comfortable with. I'm not sure why you want to practice in atti mode. I've been flying for about 3 years now and don't think I've ever been in atti mode.

Practicing in Atti mode is good, because if you ever lose satellite connection, you will be in Atti. When you let go of the sticks the drone doesn't stop. And any wind can be a major factor... ;-)

We Get spoiled...
I am getting much enjoyment from www.RealFlight.com/drone as it gives you all the various drone combinations and condition scenarios to practice in.
Respectfully, I love it.

RedHotPoker

Yes you will get over the nerves. Develop a good routine until it becomes second nature.
Spend time on the ground making sure everything is good before takeoff.

Practicing in Atti mode is good, because if you ever lose satellite connection, you will be in Atti. When you let go of the sticks the drone doesn't stop. And any wind can be a major factor... ;-)

We Get spoiled...
I am getting much enjoyment from www.RealFlight.com/drone as it gives you all the various drone combinations and condition scenarios to practice in.
Respectfully, I love it.

RedHotPoker

I bought that program, and man is it hard to fly Atti mode on it! The simulator in DJI is a piece of cake to fly and maybe too easy, but the drones in the ReafFlight Drone software are something else to fly. The courses where you are having to fly through things and land on things in a set time on it are grueling along with the winds, etc! Okay flying one upside down is a bit novel too.

Wish it had a closer simulation setup to DJI with GPS, compass, Return to Home, etc. Maybe include some waypoints too, but it might be too easy if they did.

Mack

Reactions: DCDrone
Learning to fly in ACRO on the SIM can be a pain, sure. But you know, I bought my www.RealFlight.com/Drone for practising the Heli-Max Voltage 500 3D. So that is my only excuse... ;-)
The latest free update, that brought the Tempest 280, racing drone is a lot fun too. It's neat to fly with the chase camera view. Zooming through all the floating donuts and around the tall trees. It's fun, and much cheaper to repair fractures, just hit the Reset button. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: MX DAD
When I first started RC flying, only a few years ago, it was fuzzy caterpillars, not yet wonderfully light, flight worthy, fancy free, butterflies...

RedHotPoker

I'll check that out, thanks. It sounds like the butterflies will eventually turn into adrenaline rushes. Cool. Its just hard as hell to trust this thing will do whats its supposed to do. LOL.

Hi, only 3 months experience.
Try to forget the money issue, a replacement drone is much less than buying the whole thing.
Try to extend the time you fly building up to say 75% of battery usage. Still plenty in reserve. Vary your flights and locations doing the same thing. These are superb machines enjoy.

Safe flying

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: MX DAD
Starting flying almost two years ago I thought I was gonna fall over looking at the bird 40' up, not more than 30' in front of me. I had to get over a weird fear of heights that kicked in like I was in the bird, not just looking up at it. I'm largely over that but I still prefer to sit down and fly. I would NEVER be able to wear goggles though, lol. Fast forward to tonight, 400' up and 2k' out over the water filming an event looking back at the shore, making all the controls backwards. I've come a long way in terms of ability and confidence but I'm always nervous- manageable but nervous. I think it's healthy- it keeps you on your game and making safe decisions. Better to have a healthy respect for flying with a dash of anxiety than it is to fly like a nut. My opinion, anway.

Being too calm could mean being complacent which can be dangerous, try to make some good use of your nervous energy by learning to focus on those things that you actually have control over and which do need to be checked and double checked.

Working through a pre-flight checklist is not only a sensible idea ahead of starting any flight, it also helps provide a level of reassurance that you might find boosts your confidence and allows you to relax a little to focus more on enjoying the flight experience.

I would rather be worried enough about the RTH height setting to re-check it before beginning a flight, than to find myself in a blind panic when the drone had lost signal behind some trees and enters automatic return to home.

You do however have to find the right balance though to push your own boundaries but only proceed at a rate that you feel comfortable with.

I first entered F-mode by using the POI feature. I picked a spot to place my backpack in the middle of a large open area and chose a height, radius and speed that I could safely monitor and just let the drone do its own thing for a few circles. I changed just one parameter at a time to explore each of the settings, and after flying like that for a while I gained enough confidence to start changing altitude, speed and yaw at the same time during a rotation.

If you have the luxury of an open area like the car park that you can use for practice it definitely helps to run through the basics of flying boxes and figure of eights until you become more proficient with the controls, without the worry of trees and pylons and other obstructions.

Try to find another drone user in your area and arrange to meet up for a few flights. It might well help both of you as each of you will bring your own experience and ideas to the flight sessions.

I got my P3P two weeks ago and the first thing I did was fly it out a mile from my backyard. I have flown long range FPV planes for a couple years, which helped. As long as GPS is working and you have good connection then I wouldn't worry about it. The RTH button works well.

Even if I do a complete preflight checklist, and all is ready to go....I still get butterflies when I launch the bird. After a while the butterflies settle down a bit. Then, a sudden jump to ATTI mode or some other glitch I wasn't expecting is always fun......and really gets my attention again. Then, the butterflies are the size of 747's . Gotta' love it !![emoji12].

Blue skies and calm winds my friend.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31