Will Mavic give your shorter range than Phantom?

Reaction score
I've just read that if the Mavic's GPS detects you're anywhere within the European Union, it will restrict transmitter range to just 1 kilometre.

So If you've already got a P3 or a P4 and you trade it in for a Mavic, does this mean you'll be getting less transmitter range than you've been used to?

Your Mavic should have a greater range than a P3/4.....Dji spec for CE compliant Mavic controller is 4 kilometres.

I've just read that if the Mavic's GPS detects you're anywhere within the European Union, it will restrict transmitter range to just 1 kilometre.

So If you've already got a P3 or a P4 and you trade it in for a Mavic, does this mean you'll be getting less transmitter range than you've been used to?
Read a little more.
DJI have had the same system in the P3, P4 and now the Mavic.
Look at the quoted specs
Mavic:
Max Transmission DistanceFCC Compliant: 4.3 mi (7 km);
CE Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km) (Unobstructed, free of interference)​
P3
Max Transmission DistanceUp to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant
Up to 3.5 km or 2.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when CE compliant​

If you are in Europe (CE) the Mavic does not cut your range to 1 kilometre.
It restricts transmitting power to what is legal there.
The distance you can fly depends on the interference in the local environment.
It could be less or considerably more than 1 kilometre.
Either way, the Mavic has a greater range than any earlier DJI drone which is the opposite to what you thought.

Reactions: Sparky1963

Where did you read that?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've flown my P3A over 3 miles from home point in UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Bog standard? If so, that's more than the DJI CE spec of upto 2.1 miles...
There are plenty of cases of Phantoms going further than the specs.
The range you get depends on several factors and interference in the local environment is a big one.
Try flying over the sea and you can go a long way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav