Will Iphone 6+ work without service

Reaction score
I do not want to change my cell phone to the plus size however I see numerous 6+ Iphones on Craigslist for $200. Any reason I could not buy a used Iphone 6 plus and not activate it and use it. I would assume the inactive phone would run DJI GO (download via wifi) and GPS would operate the just fine

Any thoughts or reason this would not work

It would be just like using a tablet,and you won't have to worry about calls, texts or other notifications coming in while you're flying. You can even Hotspot the current area map before flying too if needed.

Reactions: seba666
I was not sure the GPS is active without any service, I realize on the tablets that the GPS is. AT one time a while back Verizon for example charged for GPS, I am just wondering if the stand alone phone with no service has a active GPS like the tablets do.

I called verizon tonight to see if they could provide data only to a phone and that was not an option yu have to have voice service.

Again just wondering if the GPS is active without active service

GPS will be active whether a SIM is inserted or not so no, there is no requirement for active cellular service to get GPS functionality. You may get an initial fix a little more quickly on a phone with a data connection (since it can download A-GPS data), but it is not mandatory.

Gps is always available on iPhones even if they are locked or unlocked to service providers.

We don't care so much for the GPS fix time of the device as aircraft relies on its own GPS to set the home point and for RTH

You can get maps if you can use your sim in the phone or else you need to cache the maps.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm going to use my 6 until I find a way to use my shield which seems to be the perfect size for this bird and tx.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20