Will DJI Warranty Have Mercy On Me?

Reaction score
I just sent my 2 month old P2 back to DJI for hopefully a warranty or replacement. As posted previously on Feb 28 my P2 came crashing down to earth after I'd been in the air for 12 minutes. Since then I've reviewed the footage and actually made a couple of YouTube videos just for something to show DJI. The video shows one of the propellers coming off in mid flight after being in the air for 12 minutes. The crash did severe damage to the P2 itself, broke the battery and I assume destroyed the H3-3D as well. I never found it after the impact. Fortunately I did find my GoPro 3+ about 15 feet away. Luckily I had a protective lens cover on it which did break but spared the GP's lens. Here's the two videos that I made. One is the full length full speed version and the other is a piece of the original but slowed down. The propeller coming off is viewable in the slow motion video. If I'd crashed it into my house or tree I'd feel responsible and repair it myself but under the circumstances I hope DJI covers it. We'll see soon enough I guess.
Here's the full length video..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
And the short version
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I see a lot of birds flying around sure you didn't clip one

Reactions: AdamO
The P2 does not have active braking so the only way your prop will come off is if the motor stops suddenly. This can happen because of an ESC failure, bad solder joint or motor wire becoming disconnected. I hope they do the right thing and cover it as a warranty repair.

I see a lot of birds flying around sure you didn't clip one
Striking an object with a spinning prop will tighten it (or maybe break it) but will not unscrew it. I also wondered about the birds until I saw the intact prop flying off.

Here is a frame grab from my prop loss video. Not a Phantom but same motors, DJI ESC's and NAZA controller.

Attachments

• prop loss.jpg
    prop loss.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 313
I had been watching the P2 but looked down at my display and then when I looked back toward the P2 it was already half way to the ground and hauling butt. I don't think I had contact with the crows. There wasn't a propeller hub left on the motor shaft either. I'm just glad I caught it on video (the prop part anyway). I sent a pretty detailed letter of the flight routine that I followed, along with an SD card with the videos on them, just hope they take the time to watch it all.

Here is a frame grab from my prop loss video. Not a Phantom but same motors, DJI ESC's and NAZA controller.
All my motors felt fine except the one that hit the ground the hardest and forced the plastic housing against it.

GOOD NEWS!!! My P2 is already headed back with repairs done at no charge. The status update showed that it shipped yesterday with a delivery on Tuesday. The update showed it was inspected, repaired, tested and shipped on the same day. Makes me wonder if they didn't throw that one into the dumpster and are sending me a replacement. So far so good and I was really surprised and grateful for DJI service.
jk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers