Will Class 10 give better video quality?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I hope this isn't a duplicate post or something.

I've been using my Vision Plus for two months now, but still with the 4GB SanDisk Class 4 Micro SD that comes with it. If I use a Class 10 card, will it give the footage any improvement? (my focus is video quality, because photo quality is very good at all).
Also, will it take less to the "aperture" to dissapear from the Vision App while taking DNG RAW photos? It seems to take a lot to write it to the Class 4 card.

Regards,
Guido

It will make no difference in quality.
However, you should at least use minimum class 6. Mine was supplied with a class 6 4gig. I upgraded to an 16g class 10 for faster write speeds. If I recall, I had an error appear when I tried to write 1080p@30fps to a class 4. I dropped the resolution to 720 and it worked.

Mako79 said:
It will make no difference in quality.
However, you should at least use minimum class 6. Mine was supplied with a class 6 4gig. I upgraded to an 16g class 10 for faster write speeds. If I recall, I had an error appear when I tried to write 1080p@30fps to a class 4. I dropped the resolution to 720 and it worked.

I had no issues recording to Class 4 until now. Only tried the 1080p 30fps quality, though.
And if I have no problems, why should I upgrade to Class 6, then?

You didn't mention having an issue in your original post, you asked if a faster card would improve video quality. What issue are you having?

To answer your 2nd question, faster cards are faster in both read AND write. You don't HAVE to upgrade, but many do because higher classes are more capable of keeping up w/ higher resolutions, and also faster at reading the data so you don't have to sit at your computer for an hour waiting for your data to transfer.

bbfpv said:
You didn't mention having an issue in your original post, you asked if a faster card would improve video quality. What issue are you having?

To answer your 2nd question, faster cards are faster in both read AND write. You don't HAVE to upgrade, but many do because higher classes are more capable of keeping up w/ higher resolutions, and also faster at reading the data so you don't have to sit at your computer for an hour waiting for your data to transfer.

I haven't yet had any problems; but as I've seen some people using Class 10 cards, I just wanted to know if there was any big difference regarding image quality. Just a crazy thought.
Anyway thanks a lot for the info :)

It will increase your video quality by the same method that Audiophile Grade cat 5 or Monster Cables increase music quality (in your head;-) The speed of the write doesn't change the quality of the bits recorded. Slow cards many be problematic due to the camera not being able to write fast enough and filling the cache. If that happens, it just drops the bits and you may see frames dropped,or it might just refuse to record at all.

So it's like this, if you're using a slow card and taking a picture in RAW mode (uncompressed, therefore more data) there will be a delay before you can take another image (while it's writing). If you're recording video (IE 29 pictures a second) the same principle applies.

Make sense now?

There are four standard ratings, which you’ll see advertised as class 2, 4, 6 and 10. These respectively guarantee that the card can sustain a write speed of 2MB/sec, 4MB/sec, 6MB/sec or 10MB/sec. A class 2 rating means the card is guaranteed to be fast enough for standard-definition video recording, while classes 4 and 6 are fast enough for Full HD video (which one you need will depend on the bit rate of the video format you’re using). The highest rating, class 10, is faster than required for any modern video standard: rather, it’s aimed at stills photographers. The idea is to minimize the time it takes to write a photograph to the card, so you can take multiple shots in rapid succession without having to wait around for each one to be stored.

Keep in mind some cards preform better than others and sometimes it also depends what the card in plugged into. Do your homework, read some reviews as to which one works best with the Vision. I like the SanDisk class 10 Pixtor as that what works well with my GoPro and my Canon DSLR as I typically shoot everything in raw format, your Vision may like a different brand.

*SEE THIS LINK FOR MORE INFO - https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

Maybe this will help gain some insight for GoPro owners. This guy has some great videos, been watching him for a long time. Check out his channel as he owns Phantoms too. See this link on his recommendations. I trust what he says...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLI4rwTaHdg[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl