Will Arctic Silver mod give me better FPV?

Reaction score
Now that I have done the Arctic Silver mod to my v2.0 wifi module, should I see improved wifi performance? Longer distance, 640x40 30fps no problem? Or have I only safeguarded myself from overheating and frying my wifi module because of excessive component heating.

I havent had a chance to test it.

BlackTracer said:
Or have I only safeguarded myself from overheating and frying my wifi module because of excessive component heating.
The whole point of the mod is to make sure the module is dissipating heat correctly.

msinger said:
BlackTracer said:
Or have I only safeguarded myself from overheating and frying my wifi module because of excessive component heating.
The whole point of the mod is to make sure the module is dissipating heat correctly.

That's what I thought. Just wasnt sure if somehow if it was running hotter than the designed limit if that would affect performance. Thanks for answering.

Mori55, must be nice to know everything. Thanks for nothing.

I heard that if you spray paint one of your phantom's arms yellow, it will provide longer flight times. Up to 45 minutes, It has to be a counterclockwise rotating motor arm and you must use kyrlon enamel in the white can with the canary yellow cap. Come on man!

BlackTracer said:
Just wasnt sure if somehow if it was running hotter than the designed limit if that would affect performance.
That is certainly a valid point. I doubt most people are seeing a hit on performance though. For your case, it's most likely just a preventative measure.

catchingchrome said:
I heard that if you spray paint one of your phantom's arms yellow, it will provide longer flight times. Up to 45 minutes, It has to be a counterclockwise rotating motor arm and you must use kyrlon enamel in the white can with the canary yellow cap. Come on man!

Enough with the sarcasm. Stop insulting my intelligence. If you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing.

BlackTracer, just tune them out. People like that only feed off of your replies.

BlackTracer said:
Now that I have done the Arctic Silver mod to my v2.0 wifi module, should I see improved wifi performance? Longer distance, 640x40 30fps no problem? Or have I only safeguarded myself from overheating and frying my wifi module because of excessive component heating.

Since I am the one that found this issue and tested it with various conditions I would have to say yes.

Heat degradation begins to effect the components not properly heat sinked the moment you power it up and it exceeds its tolerance. In some cases the wifi module would begin to cut out within 30 seconds of operation. Now properly heatsinked there is no "nearly immediate" degradation. In this case you can see a huge gain in distance.

In theory the final output mosfets begin to overheat when the impedance changes from the components no longer oscillating properly. In any case keeping them cooler lowers their internal resistance and causes them to work more efficiently giving you more range. This is of benefit nearly immediately and in all cases, overheating or not.

Is the forum full of Noobs..... that think they know everything and can bash people? Where is the ban hammer and warnings at ;)

burlbark said:
BlackTracer said:

Since I am the one that found this issue and tested it with various conditions I would have to say yes.

Heat degradation begins to effect the components not properly heat sinked the moment you power it up and it exceeds its tolerance. In some cases the wifi module would begin to cut out within 30 seconds of operation. Now properly heatsinked there is no "nearly immediate" degradation. In this case you can see a huge gain in distance.

In theory the final output mosfets begin to overheat when the impedance changes from the components no longer oscillating properly. In any case keeping them cooler lowers their internal resistance and causes them to work more efficiently giving you more range. This is of benefit nearly immediately and in all cases, overheating or not.

Is the forum full of Noobs..... that think they know everything and can bash people? Where is the ban hammer and warnings at ;)

Thank you for that info. It was your you tube video that I watched and followed. Thank you for doing that for us. Lol at the worst part for you being the standoffs! They were only hand tight on mine and actually loose. The challenges for me was the two sides tape and releasing that small metal cover inside. Those tabs were tiny.

My Phantom is brand new, less than 1 month old, and I haven't yet had any problems with its WiFi connection or overheating. I've seen some people giving advice in not downloading the SD content via WiFi, because it will overheat the board without proper heatsinking that the propellers provide.

As I only use the 640x480 15fps live view and do not download any content via WiFi, am I recommended to do the Arctic Silver mod or it will be just okay with heat dispersing when flying?

By the way.. There are indeed experienced and newby pilots in this forum, but we all are here to share knowledge - not to call each other a noob or something. Totally disrespectful.

gfo315 said:
My Phantom is brand new, less than 1 month old, and I haven't yet had any problems with its WiFi connection or overheating. I've seen some people giving advice in not downloading the SD content via WiFi, because it will overheat the board without proper heatsinking that the propellers provide.

As I only use the 640x480 15fps live view and do not download any content via WiFi, am I recommended to do the Arctic Silver mod or it will be just okay with heat dispersing when flying?

By the way.. There are indeed experienced and newby pilots in this forum, but we all are here to share knowledge - not to call each other a noob or something. Totally disrespectful.

There are new users here causing a little grief... It will pass it always does. ;)

It will be dependent on the version of wifi you are running. If the wifi case has holes you should be okay. They started to use a thermal pad on the bottom wifi processor.

However DJI has decided that heatsinking the final output fets is not necessary and is cost prohibitive. They put a shield over them and heatsinked the shield to the case but never applied thermal paste to the fets. This applies to all wifi versions. For ultimate reliability this should be corrected.

Jeremy James

Burlbark,
I asked in another thread which "arctic silver is best"
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34995
Which do you prefer?
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound
or
Arctic Silver Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic Thermal Compound
or
Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 Premium High Density Thermal Compound

This might be a dumb question, burlbark. If one has added extra copper shielding below the GPS module, is a cover needed at all on the wifi unit? Obviously, DJI added the holes into the cover so heat will not be trapped in the unit, but wouldn't no cover be better? Thanks.

burlbark said:
BlackTracer said:

The Ban hammer ? Warnings ? :lol: sorry I think it was a ridiculous post. My opinion , we still allowed to have these ? Or should we get the hammer out. We all got bashed at one time or another when we first started. Made me think and search before I asked.

burlbark said:
There are new users here causing a little grief... It will pass it always does. ;)

It will be dependent on the version of wifi you are running. If the wifi case has holes you should be okay. They started to use a thermal pad on the bottom wifi processor.

However DJI has decided that heatsinking the final output fets is not necessary and is cost prohibitive. They put a shield over them and heatsinked the shield to the case but never applied thermal paste to the fets. This applies to all wifi versions. For ultimate reliability this should be corrected.

Jeremy James

Gonna open it up in a few days.. Thanks for the advice. Am I supposed to see these holes right when I open up the Phantom, or do I need to disconnect the WiFi board?

oilswoodhome said:
Burlbark,
I asked in another thread which "arctic silver is best"
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34995
Which do you prefer?
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound
or
Arctic Silver Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic Thermal Compound
or
Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 Premium High Density Thermal Compound

I use Arctic Silver and I do not apply to anything other than the nonconducting mosfet housings. It has a slight capacitance, very, very little, but it best to avoid smearing any on the conductive traces.

MapMaker53 said:
This might be a dumb question, burlbark. If one has added extra copper shielding below the GPS module, is a cover needed at all on the wifi unit? Obviously, DJI added the holes into the cover so heat will not be trapped in the unit, but wouldn't no cover be better? Thanks.

Yes you need the cover on the wifi unit. If not it will overwhelm the GPS signal and it will also cause it to overheat quicker. The case has a large amount of mass that provides for heat sinking.
gfo315 said:
burlbark said:

Jeremy James

Gonna open it up in a few days.. Thanks for the advice. Am I supposed to see these holes right when I open up the Phantom, or do I need to disconnect the WiFi board?

It will be plainly obvious when you take the top off. If the silver colored wifi unit does not have exposed holes you will need to open it up and confirm the bottom processor in the wifi unit has a thermal pad or thermal compound. Here is a pic showing what not to see.....The processor to the left of the case should have a generous layer of thermal past on it so that it should match up with the case and its raised area with white paste. This processor could not heat sink to the case and failed.

Attachments

• Nick little 009.JPG
    Nick little 009.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 490

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.