Will a Phantom 4 avoid hitting a powerline?

Reaction score
How large does an object have to be for the phantom 4 to recognize it's there, and stop? If you are flying toward a power line will it stop, or is it too small for it to recognize? Anybody tried this?

The Phantom manual warns not to fly toward fine objects when using the flight features that utilize obstacle avoidance. It specifically mentions power lines as one of those fine objects. That said, it would be safest to assume your Phantom cannot see them.

Reactions: John Locke
I tested this by not testing a power line, but with a horizontal rope of approximately the same size. It's hit or miss. I had a black climbing rope, and stretched out it recognized it sometimes when moving it closer to the camera. Chain link fences seem to be hit or miss too.

How large does an object have to be for the phantom 4 to recognize it's there, and stop? If you are flying toward a power line will it stop, or is it too small for it to recognize? Anybody tried this?

As mentioned above, its all a question of what it "sees" past the object. It's only as good as a camera being able to focus on the object. If it's able to focus (or simple does focus) past the object then it won't "see" the object.

On that note, I'm sure DJI will be cashing in big time on all of the repairs and replacements from people thinking this is a foolproof system.

loll, whoever is smart enough to try avoiding a chain link fence using obstacle avoidance, deserve a surprise.
HAHAHA.. Too funny. Truly though.. Is it a surprise?

The sensing minimum range is 500px. (Pixels)

So fences and ropes and wires are too small for the minimum pixels it needs

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl