Will a Phantom 3 fly and film without a mobile device?

Reaction score
Hi guys;

A simple question really but I can't seem to get an answer on this. If I buy a Phantom 3 standard Today, can I calibrate and fly it straight out of the box without using a mobile device or tablet?

Obviously I will want to use the go app but if my phone is not compatible yet or I have issues connecting the p3s to the phone, am I looking at an expensive box that won't work or can I fly it 'hands on" so to speak, like my phantom 2?

Also, will I be able to get the camera to record without the use of a mobile device?

Sorry if this is a daft question but I'm old and not very tech savvy. I just want to fly and film whilst I take my time setting up and understanding the 'go app and mobile combo' .

You'll need to register your Phantom in the DJI GO app before you fly for the first time. After that point, it would be possible to fly without a mobile device. I don't recommend it though.

I wouldn't fly it ether. You would not have a record button, see number of satellites locked, power of flight battery and a whole bunch more.
I ended up using a ASUS tablet, ME173X, it is not on there compatible lists. It plays back video through the DJI Go app (While the video is still in the craft). I only have one computer that can actually play the video's that it creates. I didn't know my Ipad2 and my Iphone 4s would not even download the DJI Go.

You could fly but I'd not recommended it. As mentioned, you won't know if everything is okay to fly. You won't know if you lose signal for some reason. If you go out of sight for some reason you won't have any idea where the drone is.

Tanks guys, lets just hope the App works with my phone then eh. I have downloaded the app to my phone successfully does that mean it's likely to work? :)

Don't get me wrong, I totally want the benefits of the App but as I fly two other Phantoms without a mobile device I wasn't sure why the P3s wouldn't be the same.

I can't get around the lack of camera button and having to register it before I fly anyway. It does still have status lights though doesn't it? I just need to be more patient I guess :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Tanks guys, lets just hope the App works with my phone then eh. I have downloaded the app to my phone successfully does that mean it's likely to work? :)

Don't get me wrong, I totally want the benefits of the App but as I fly two other Phantoms without a mobile device I wasn't sure why the P3s wouldn't be the same.

I can't get around the lack of camera button and having to register it before I fly anyway. It does still have status lights though doesn't it? I just need to be more patient I guess :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

If it is a crAPPLE phone, yes. I couldn't download the app, other, I don't know.

Status lights on the craft yes, flashing green is a go.
4 beeps on startup I read that is all 4 motors, Number of green flashes I have read number of gps sats. Never counted the lights.
Yellow when compass calibration.

My P2V+ I had to have mobile device to record, never had anything before that. This model is another step into integration. I like not having to turn on or charge the WIFI extender. Its built in to the remote now.

If it is a crAPPLE phone, yes. I couldn't download the app, other, I don't know.

Status lights on the craft yes, flashing green is a go.
4 beeps on startup I read that is all 4 motors, Number of green flashes I have read number of gps sats. Never counted the lights.
Yellow when compass calibration.

My P2V+ I had to have mobile device to record, never had anything before that. This model is another step into integration. I like not having to turn on or charge the WIFI extender. Its built in to the remote now.

Thanks RodPad. I went and bought a p3s today $1399, I'm waiting for it all to charge as we speak.
My phone is an android which isn't on the list but the os is higher than required so cross fingers :(

By the way, downloaded the full manual Today also, erm, nah. back to video tutorials then. Cheers everyone.

I see some users post they couldn't get the app on their phones.
What I did was to download the app thru itunes, and install the IPA with ifunbox on my iphone 5.

The reason why the iphone 5 isn't supported became clear when you look at the camera. There is a lag of about 1 second. Its workable but not ideal. Also make sure to turn hardware encoding off in the settings in the app, or its even worse.

I am waiting for my 6s to arrive, so in the meanwhile I hang in there ;)

Thanks RodPad. I went and bought a p3s today $1399, I'm waiting for it all to charge as we speak.
My phone is an android which isn't on the list but the os is higher than required so cross fingers :(

By the way, downloaded the full manual Today also, erm, nah. back to video tutorials then. Cheers everyone.

$1399, for a P3S, did you buy two?

What I did was to download the app thru itunes, and install the IPA with ifunbox on my iphone 5.

The reason why the iphone 5 isn't supported became clear when you look at the camera. There is a lag of about 1 second. Its workable but not ideal. Also make sure to turn hardware encoding off in the settings in the app, or its even worse.

I am waiting for my 6s to arrive, so in the meanwhile I hang in there ;)
Is you Iphone a 5C?
I will have to look at Ifunbox, I would really like to get my Ipad 2 to work no matter how crappy it is.

;)
Would you give some general instructions for this procedure.
Like, you download ifunbox with itunes or your device, DJI go with Itunes and or is this illegal or at your own risk?

$1399, for a P3S, did you buy two?

Sorry, New Zealand Dollars :)

Whilst I'm here... I downloaded the manual yesterday as a zip file and promptly dismissed it as being useless. I looked at the PDF file online Today and it's packed with information that isn't in the zip file, finally it makes sense.

Does any one know how I can get the complete manual downloaded permanently rather than check the PDF on line, please.

Reactions: dirkclod
Would you give some general instructions for this procedure.
Like, you download ifunbox with itunes or your device, DJI go with Itunes and or is this illegal or at your own risk?

Its not that hard, but ill explain it here. I am a Apple tech for a living so when something is unclear just let me know. I have a Mac so instructions are for Mac:

- Open iTunes and go to the app store.
- Download the DJI go app with your iTunes.
- When the app is downloaded, it will show in your app library in iTunes, right click it and choose "Show in finder".
- You will see the .ipa (app) file, you can copy this to your desktop.
- Download ifunbox: iFunbox | the File and App Management Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch.
- Connect your phone to your Mac, but dont open itunes
- Open ifunbox and on the top bar it says something like "install app".
- Select the IPA on the desktop and wait ;-)

When its finished you have the DJI app on your iPhone.
I am using an iPhone 5, 16GB. The app is a bit laggy and the video stream as well.

The reason I did this, is because I was using a Galaxy Note 2 before, and I was experiencing green lines when the app was toggled in video mode. Now somehow that resolved itself so I am back on android untill my 6s arrives :) I do not see how this is illegal, all you do is bypass a compatibility check with free and legal software.

Instructions are basically the same for Windows I think, except I dont know anything about Windows

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
Cool, and thanks. Great detailed instructions will give it a try. :)

Wow, it worked on I pad 2 IOS 9.1, the only thing I would add and a spaced, was turning off Load Itunes on connect. I had to do some back tracking for that one. Its great, FPV looks almost unusable. But still better than my P2V+ that a used for three months with no FPV new out of the box.

Windows XP

I just received a 3 Advanced yesterday. I have an iPhone 4 which doesn't have the proper OS. I upgraded from a Phantom 1. Anyway, I got it started up last night. I didn't fly it, but I got the camera to record and take stills. I haven't downloaded any app. My wife had an iPad that a bit newer, but I'm going to try flying it today without any app and will report back. I mean, I flew the old one and never lost it or had any trouble. As for the view, I got pretty good at point and shoot with the GoPro on the old Phantom, so I'm not sure I NEED that.
Finally, after spending all that money, one would think they could GIVE you the app. Another $30.00, according to my phone (that won't load it anyway).
Anyway, I'll report back in a few hours.

Hi. The DJI app is free. The experience will be much better as you can frame your shots. Also flying with FPV is surprisingly easy. The advanced has lightbridge which means you have some serious range. I highly recommend downloading and using the DJI app. This link should take you there: DJI GO on the App Store

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.