Wilderness driving in typical West Virginia.

Reaction score
I have been busy and shut up, I had to get out. I went on a road that is seldom traveled, that took 1 1/2 hours to cross with very little snow. My father got upset with me because I took my wife and disabled daughter with me. I'm not too mobile any more and he was concerned if I should break down. Once his kid always his kid no matter how old I get. LOL I always carry a survival kit in both my vehicles and I am well versed in taking care of things. No cell service. I down loaded maps before I left home, because my phone has GPS. I was able to keep track where I was on that wilderness road. After the first road, I decided to go to the top of the nearby mountain. Neither place did I see anyone, which was great. The mountain trip was a bad Idea. It got too bad and I had to turn around. The snow wasn't too bad, but the frozen ice and mud under the snow was throwing my Jeep around. My wife was freaking out on that single lane road without any guardrails and a big drop off. That's a stopper right there.

Nothing special, just had to get out. Unlike many states, flat land is a rarity in WV.
DJI_0943.jpgc.jpg

I also had to get off this thing before dark. Something was up with my P4. It only took 20 second videos and the picture icon wouldn't stop turning.
DJI_0961.jpgc.jpg

Last edited:
Nice clear air,visibility long way
Yes young man you be careful on your roads trips,no phone box out there
Agree on looking at 4 walls so much,we are very lucky here in that department but another lockdown always possible keep safe ;)

Nice clear air,visibility long way
Yes young man you be careful on your roads trips,no phone box out there
Agree on looking at 4 walls so much,we are very lucky here in that department but another lockdown always possible keep safe ;)
Our state governor tells everyone to go out and enjoy the outdoors. He even waived fishing license fees, so people would get out. We have few people in West Virginia. I saw no one on the two roads I went on. There isn't any corona virus in the middle of nowhere. Lol.
I was bound near home for a while with people working on the house and helping out with my mother morning and night. Her fight with cancer kept my dad and I busy caring for her. All that ended 3 days before Christmas. Trying to get back to normal. I will be getting out and flying more.

Seems like some guy wrote a song about that place you live.... and looks like it lives up to it. We have traveled through WV to see kids, grandkids and great grandkids but have never taken the opportunity to explore. Thanks for doing that for us; always enjoy your work.
I see you are from Michigan. I graduated high school in Monroe, Michigan and lived many places. I lived on and off in WV. I am retired now and enjoy reliving my childhood memories. Lol.

I use to live in WV. Love it and miss it.

Loved the photos!

Beautiful! Did you try switching SD cards? Frustrating when you finally get to fly in a beautiful area and it doesn't work right. Sounds like quite an adventure.

Beautiful! Did you try switching SD cards? Frustrating when you finally get to fly in a beautiful area and it doesn't work right. Sounds like quite an adventure.
No, it was a quick flight. My wife just wanted to leave. There is an eerie cold feeling being miles from everyone in a not so friendly environment.
This is one mountain my wife doesn't care for. Years ago coming off this mountain, a car about 300 ft. in front of us started doing 360's on this single lane road without guardrails. It was in the shadow from the sun that the road became a very smooth glaze of ice. I couldn't stop in time. I was going straight, but the car was slowly going off the road with a very large drop off. It was like the car had no brakes and no steering it was so slick. I told my wife to get ready to jump out. At least the kids would have a mother. Against physics, the car started going to the center of the road which was a higher grade. We got to a right hand turn in the road where the sun was shining and had melted the ice. The people in front of us was outside their car shook up and crying. Well on the good side, the hoary frost was beautiful up there and was as big as chicken feathers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.