Wild Mustangs in the Flint Hills of Kansas

Reaction score
A video from my latest outing to the Flint Hills in Kansas. A great place to fly. There is an area of several thousand acres that is fenced, where several hundred head of wild Mustangs live.

Feedback positive or negative is always welcome.

"The Phantom will Return" - I like it. Great job all around flying and filming. Really like the way you closed it by backing away from the shot.

Kudos to you also for not going down and scaring the horses - hate it when you see a video of someone who gets a kick out of scaring the wildlife!

One part of the video it looked like snow covered ground and another looked like brown pasture/grass. Was that snow or just the way the shot looked?

Curious as to why that many acres is fenced off - is it a State park or something?

Music was a perfect choice also - continued safe flying and filming.

Very nice. The scenery is fantastic. I was wondering how close you could have gotten to the mustangs without spooking them.

"The Phantom will Return" - I like it. Great job all around flying and filming. Really like the way you closed it by backing away from the shot.

Kudos to you also for not going down and scaring the horses - hate it when you see a video of someone who gets a kick out of scaring the wildlife!

One part of the video it looked like snow covered ground and another looked like brown pasture/grass. Was that snow or just the way the shot looked?

Curious as to why that many acres is fenced off - is it a State park or something?

Music was a perfect choice also - continued safe flying and filming.

Thank you eaglegoaltender ,
There was no snow on the ground, just the way the prairie grass looked that day.
Most of the Flint Hills are fenced off. Thousands of head of cattle are brought here every year during the growing season to fatten up on the prairie grass. The fences separate the various ranches, most of which are quite large in acreage.
As far as the wild Mustangs. It is my understanding that they have been brought from the western states, fixed and let loose in these large areas to live out the rest of their lives. The land owners are paid so much per head per year to let them live on their land by the Federal government.
It would make a great state park.
We do have a few state wildlife refuges here in Kansas that have small herds of Bison that people can visit. Filming the Bison is a future video that I want to make.
Take care,
Scott.

A video from my latest outing to the Flint Hills in Kansas. A great place to fly. There is an area of several thousand acres that is fenced, where several hundred head of wild Mustangs live.

Feedback positive or negative is always welcome.

As a reluctant horse-person for many years, I have to say *thank you* for not harassing and chasing them/making them run! Looks like you need to do a gimbal calibration to get a level horizon (search here on PP or on YouTube). Fun video - thanks!

As far as the wild Mustangs. It is my understanding that they have been brought from the western states, fixed and let loose in these large areas to live out the rest of their lives. The land owners are paid so much per head per year to let them live on their land by the Federal government.

Thank you for getting back to me Scott as to my questions - much appreciated.

Wow, that is great news hearing that info regarding the horses. Been a horse lover and owner for years - virtual tie between horses and dogs as to "mans best friend"!

Sounds like a really neat place to live. Will be looking for your video on the Bison!

All the best and continued safe flying and filming.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik