Wild Goose Chase! With a Phantom….

Reaction score
I was approached by a local golf course about using the phantom to control their big canada goose problem. They had been using dogs to chase the birds but these were very expensive requiring a professional handler and lots of notice. Noise makers or culling was not an option. So I made up a little sound system to blast attacking eagle cries from under the quad, I posted this in an earlier forum but here it is in case you missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MCGbFS4 ... Vjd-PHQT0w

So I finally had a chance to try it out. Stripped the phantom in case I had a bad encounter, especially over water, so no camera. But the sound worked great and freaked half the birds out. The other half weren't buying it! I used my new Storm 2700 mah batteries, 8% more weight but 23% more juice. Significant more flying time with very aggressive flying. End of story, I don't think its worth it. Too much operator skill required by staff, weather limits use, and the geese were tough to budge. Lots of fun though.

http://youtu.be/_u_ec-SEVjg

Don't give up! Maybe the sound of something man-made that they consider a threat or anxiety provoking, like a firetruck horn or (gulp!) the sound of a shotgun?

PF

I've downloaded and looped a track of crazy barking dogs, I know that motivates them. I think the issue may have been that the adults are not bothered by eagles, only the chicks and when nesting. I may try version 2 in the next few days. I also added tracks of sirens, alien spacecraft etc. its hilarious and creepy at the same time. The siren one is so good I can't use it anymore because it sounds WAY too official !

I've been following your airborne audio exploits with great interest. The local Parks Dept. has asked me to try using my Phantom to chase Canada geese from a beach that is very popular with children. I'm willing to give it a try but know from personal experience (wild geese nest near our cabin) that Canada geese are quick to adapt to conditions that most wild birds don't tolerate.

Unfortunately, the most likely alternative, if frightening them away doesn't work, is to kill.

Please keep us posted!

On my very first flight I "Buzzed" some Canadian Geese. In the video below, at the 38 second point, which the link takes you to directly you can see the impact. I was flying over them and lost altitude and they moved a little away. Without any additional noise I would think it would be hard to scare them.

http://youtu.be/c-e_w3PR2sY?t=38s

Gord

It is very interesting to see the difference in the reaction of the geese when on land and water. I have a QuadH20 coming soon -- I'll try it at water level in "boat mode". I still need to find a tiny speaker but can imagine Velcro-ing it to the top of the quad, with the Shuffle in a Ziploc bag.

GearLoose said:
It is very interesting to see the difference in the reaction of the geese when on land and water. I have a QuadH20 coming soon -- I'll try it at water level in "boat mode". I still need to find a tiny speaker but can imagine Velcro-ing it to the top of the quad, with the Shuffle in a Ziploc bag.

Keep the speaker away from any compass or GPS because of the magnet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj