WiFi?

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm using a GalaxyTab A to run my app
My question is should I have my phone set up as a hotspot so that I'm connected to the internet while flying?
Thanks
Phill

Some say no. They say to put it on Airplane mode to free resources for the DJI GO app or whichever one that you use.

You need Internet to get maps if you have not already cached before going to site.

Btw, You do not need to cache maps for the galaxy tab a. You will be able to see the map and use waypoints/follow me without the internet. It has GPS even though its a wifi only tablet.
In settings > Privacy > Turn On> locating method > GPS only

Btw, You do not need to cache maps for the galaxy tab a. You will be able to see the map and use waypoints/follow me without the internet. It has GPS even though its a wifi only tablet.
In settings > Privacy > Turn On> locating method > GPS only
Just checking - you do know that you can't download maps with GPS, right? Your mobile device needs to have maps cached in advance or have Internet access in the field to see maps.

Just checking - you do know that you can't download maps with GPS, right? Your mobile device needs to have maps cached in advance or have Internet access in the field to see maps.

No, it doesnt. I have a samsung tablet with wifi only on airplane mode with gps on. Maps, waypoints, follow me and google maps all work without the internet and no need for cached maps.

No, it doesnt. I have a samsung tablet with wifi only on airplane mode and with gps on and maps, waypoints, follow me and google maps all work without the internet and no need for cached maps.
Waypoints and follow me are GPS related which is why I didn't mention those. Maps are from the Internet, not from GPS. If you are able to download maps through GPS, you need to patent that tech quickly because you are the only one who can do that.

Reactions: HWCM
My wifi is off, with GPS on, google maps and the map on dji go app work without caching.

Would you like me to make a video proving you wrong?

My wifi is off, with GPS on, google maps and the map on dji go app work without caching.
Which means that the maps must already be cached or stored in advance because they are not being transmitted via GPS.

Reactions: JoBe and Meta4
They are not stored beforehand. I can go to a different location without ever turning on wifi, and the gps will be live and working with the map.

You can keep saying it doesnt work, wont change the fact that it does work.

Which model? If that is the case I want one

They are not stored beforehand. I can go to a different location without ever turning on wifi, and the gps will be live and working with the map.

I think what the gentleman is saying, correct me if I am wrong, is that no maps are transmitted via a GPS signal. A signal from your unit is bounced off several satellites and triangulated by some fancy software on to your phone or whatever to generate some co-ordinates. The phone/tablet/gps unit then pulls out a map from memory and sticks an arrow or whatever on it and says 'this is where you are'. So nothing but co-ordinates are transmitted via the GPS signal. Even the military have to have maps already on their systems for the co-ordinates to make sense. You can get a reading that says you are at x,y,z etc but those are just numbers. I am not knocking you. There is no reason for me to be having a go at you. Just trying to clarify things. :)

Reactions: mikesmiley

Jay you must have the maps cached somehow. Open DGI Go in aeroplane mode and see how far you can scroll around. If its possible to have everything in there off.line i want to know how to do it. Im often away from an internet connection and its a pain having to cache beforehand.

I am running mine on a Samsung 6. It has GPS to locate itself, navigation apps etc. I dont have to cache maps as they are already there....... somewhere. I would prefer to use a Amazon Fire Tablet that I have laying around spare but as it does not have GPS I cannot use it if I require RTH to the control unit etc. (would be happy if someone where to say I was wrong and show me how to do it though)

I am running mine on a Samsung 6. It has GPS to locate itself, navigation apps etc. I dont have to cache maps as they are already there....... somewhere. I would prefer to use a Amazon Fire Tablet that I have laying around spare but as it does not have GPS I cannot use it if I require RTH to the control unit etc. (would be happy if someone where to say I was wrong and show me how to do it though)
As far as im aware the homepoint is recorded at takeoff by the aircraft position. GpS on the device will give you follow me mode and other functions like using the controler as a focus point for the camera (autopilot and probably other apps).

You have two RTH modes. One where the unit says 'this is where I took off from' and the other is following the controler. I use the second one a lot. Usually I am walking across the field to get a different view or to extend the range etc. The DJI app tells me in voice "Home Point Moved" (or similar) so if RTH is activated it returns to the controller NOT the take off point. As I said though that is using the second option.

Hi Guys
I'm using a GalaxyTab A to run my app
My question is should I have my phone set up as a hotspot so that I'm connected to the internet while flying?
Lots of confusion to deal with there.
To answer your question properly ... No, you don't need any internet connection while flying.
You can download maps over a connection or cache them from home over wifi.
But maps are very little use while flying and if you don't have them you're really not missing anything.

That's exactly how caching works.
We've had others think they had magic maps too but it's always a case of the maps being already cached.
There's no other way for that to happen.

Reactions: Oso
Thanks Guys
I can see there are many differing opinions
I've been flying without internet so far so it's just curiosity.
TBH being a beginner I'm pretty busy flying at the moment so don't get a chance to look at maps and I'm flying in areas I know
Next flight I'll take more notice

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj