Wifi Transmitter Issues?

Reaction score
First I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Jerry, I'm flying in Rhode Island, and have been perusing the forum for a few weeks now. There is so much great information, provided by some very intelligent individuals here, I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a wifi issue I'm experiencing...

A few days ago, I gradually lost FPV in my iPhone during flight. What was occurring, at a very close range, was the intermittent pixilation, as well as stagnant black and white image, and then the occasional vertical scrolling of my screen. I was required to land my Phantom, 5 or 6 times, to power cycle everything, and each time I experienced the same variation of the above. I was flying in a Christmas tree field, where there was virtually no interference. Eventually, my Phantom wasn't even showing up on my wifi selection screen....

When I returned home, I re-bound the camera. When I did, the Phantom was present on my wifi selection screen on my iPhone. I went to power cycle everything after a successful bind, and....nothing. Again, no phantom on my wifi selection screen. This is where I'm stuck...im leaning toward a fried wifi transmission module, but im not compleatly sure. Could it be the range extender, not sure about that either. I've perussed the forum for answered, but haven't found athe same situation.

I have updated my Phantom software to the newest, which is the vision plus, sorry for not mentioning that earlier, but when my issues occurred, I was running on the old software, thought that may have been the issue. I also reinstalled the app, but that didn't help. I'm lost, what is my next course of action?

Any help would be so much appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read my leagthy post.

Well, jut got home from work, fired the Phantom up...no issues, everything worked great. Was wondering if this is a heat related issue? When the wifi transmission module becomes to hot, it goes on the fritz...Worth doing the thermal paste mod? Again thanks for reading, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Do you have the Phantom 2 Vision or the + version? I had crazy camera issues with my non + Vision. It turned out to be an intermittent connection where the Phantom plugs into the camera. Make sure it is completely pushed in. Mine was. I had to clean the plug with alcohol and while it was still wet plug it in and out of the camera a few times. That solved my issues.

GothamEMS said:
I have a Phanom Vision +.

If you catch it in time and apply the thermal paste you can save yourself the $200. It sounds like it is beyond what you feel comfortable doing or you are still under warranty. Every heat cycle will make it worse.

That thread was started by me and I found another half dozen easy upgrades that made everything that much more reliable. Many of these measures are now being offered by repair shops all over the country now. It was allot of work and trial and error but everyone can now benefit.

Jeremy James

Thank you for all the responses. I am not intimidated by this thing. I've already been elbows deep into it, had to do a complete she'll swap, because after I replaced the bearings, I used liquid thread lock on the screws, and it ruined the plastic. So if I need to do the thermal paste mod, that's an easy task considering the headaches my Phantom has already given me. Do you believe this mod will solve my issue, or will it a prolong the inevitable failure of the wifi trans. Thanks again!

GothamEMS said:
Thank you for all the responses. I am not intimidated by this thing. I've already been elbows deep into it, had to do a complete she'll swap, because after I replaced the bearings, I used liquid thread lock on the screws, and it ruined the plastic. So if I need to do the thermal paste mod, that's an easy task considering the headaches my Phantom has already given me. Do you believe this mod will solve my issue, or will it a prolong the inevitable failure of the wifi trans. Thanks again!

If your wifi is dead it is already gone. Mine had 7 flights on it before I had a drop issue start to show up and it was towards the end of a battery pack. I immediately tried to solve it before it failed completely on me. At start up if you still have FPV for 3-5 minutes its worth doing, you could still have full range. After heat sink compound application mine has never dropped again and I have had zero issues with GPS satellites being dropped.

I think that if you also do the final output amplifiers the unit should outlive its usefulness.

So I just removed the wifi transmission module and disassembled it...You guys weren't kidding...the thermal paste dji used looked more like whit lithium grease, NOT like any thermal pass I've seen! The thermal pad is intact as well, and will be replaced with a shim.i have to say, there is no evidence on the inside covers of excessive heat, which is what I thought I'd find for sure! Thanks again!

GothamEMS said:
So I just removed the wifi transmission module and disassembled it...You guys weren't kidding...the thermal paste dji used looked more like whit lithium grease, NOT like any thermal pass I've seen! The thermal pad is intact as well, and will be replaced with a shim.i have to say, there is no evidence on the inside covers of excessive heat, which is what I thought I'd find for sure! Thanks again!

There is a final set of amplifiers that you can get to if you are very careful and use a sharp screw driver. There is a metal heat/EMi shield on one of the boards. Underneath it are two op amps. These are the final stage of amplification and for some crazy reason DJI did not heat sink them or apply thermal paste. I put a dab of arctic silver on mine and put the cover back on, I used some shims but it may not be necessary when using a good thermal paste.

I completed the mod, shimmed and applied thermal paste to the components you mentioned under the heat shield. I also removed the thermal pad on the underside, shimmed it and applied the paste. Fired he up, flew one battery, seemed to work perfect. I'm gonna range test it in the AM, just because it's dark out now and if I loose visual and signal, I'm pretty much screwed. Thanks for all the help!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj