WIFI test using the wifi Analyzer app

Reaction score
As we all know the Standard using wifi to communicate between the controller and your device (cell or tablet) and also between the controller and the drone for the video feed and telemetry. Many are also aware of an app called "Wifi Analyzer" to check for interference in the area. I decided to use the app to check on what channel my P3S was using on 2.4G wifi. The controller on my setup is using channel 10. I say the controller because it seems that's the only reading I'm getting, from the RC. When I turn on the RC I get a good strong reading on channel 10, but don't get any (none) from the drone itself. Turn on the controller, there's the signal. Turn RC off, signal goes away. Turning the drone on or off does nothing, no wifi signal that I can tell. Does this seem right??

Reactions: Chasbro
One thing that just came to mind is it possible that the wifi signal I'm getting for the RC is the wifi for the device (cell or tablet) connection. And the reason I'm not getting any reading from the drone is because even though DJI is saying it's a wifi signal from the drone, it's not a traditional wifi signal and the "Wifi Analyzer app" is not picking up on it.

Your rc is the only discoverable device. Don't know if that helps

The WiFi Analyzer app will only discover wireless devices that are operating as a hotspot, like wireless access points, wireless routers and such. It won't see other wireless computers or devices using WiFi unless it's WiFi Direct capable (Roku, smart TVs, some printers, etc).

In the Phantom3_xxxx network, the RC acts as an access point for both the mobile device and drone. The latter two acts as wireless clients (they don't broadcast SSIDs) so WiFi Analyzer won't see them.

The 5GHz on the P3S is a totally different story. It's not WiFi so again, you won't see it using any app.

Reactions: WilliamM and jeganx
The WiFi Analyzer app will only discover wireless devices that are operating as a hotspot, like wireless access points, wireless routers and such. It won't see other wireless computers or devices using WiFi unless it's WiFi Direct capable (Roku, smart TVs, some printers, etc).

In the Phantom3_xxxx network, the RC acts as an access point for both the mobile device and drone. The latter two acts as wireless clients (they don't broadcast SSIDs) so WiFi Analyzer won't see them.

The 5GHz on the P3S is a totally different story. It's not WiFi so again, you won't see it using any app.
I think this is the correct answer. The drone will not choose its own channel, but have to follow the rc picked channel.

Thank you, this seems right to me also. Have a follow up if you might know. Does the standard rc auto select a channel or is it fixed?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thank you, this seems right to me also. Have a follow up if you might know. Does the standard rc auto select a channel or is it fixed?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Answered my own question. It selects different channels, as I rechecked today and it was on channel 6 and no longer 10. So I guess it does a quick scan and selects what it thinks is a clear channel. So knowing this, it would mean if things change with wifi interference at a location, power cycling your equipment should change wifi channels if needed.

Yes, I agree with all of the above, I guess if there every was ever an app to see these other signals it would only show up on an android. So the only option would be a spectrum analyzer?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj