WiFi - SSID - Module & Extender - P2V+

Reaction score
Finally joined the forum, will contribute based on my abilities in time. But have $189 question that has not been answered on the forum to date.

I'm trouble shooting my FPV (video to the phone), it's freezing beyond 25' and I'm tired of flying blind. For the record this is the P2V+. I've read any and all post regarding the FPV dropping out. Have a new WiFi module in hand, but would like to slow down a bit to make sure it is the problem.

The WiFi repeater appears to be sending out an SSID constantly. Is this the same for others?

Whereas the hidden MAC associated with the bird's WiFi module ($189) is sending an SSID signal off and on. Much like a typical wireless router would broadcast. Is this what other people are experiencing?

I'm using an Android App, WiFi Analyzer, and have been testing with this tool to identify what I have going wrong. Once the hidden broadcast is seen within the app I can create an Alias to help watch it. At present I have the unit sitting idle with temp prob's recording temp data on the WiFi module. So far I am not seeing any temps above 60c. So I believe the issue is not temp related, but will confirm otherwise.

Bottom line I don't want to spend the $189 if I don't need to, cheaper if it was the repeater. Little upset my dealer claimed the yaw mod voided my warranty.... :roll:

Thank you for your time and consideration in replying.

EDIT: Wifi EXTENDER not repeater....

Re: WiFi - SSID - Module & Repeater - P2V+

RichWest said:
Finally joined the forum, will contribute based on my abilities in time. But have $189 question that has not been answered on the forum to date.

I'm trouble shooting my FPV (video to the phone), it's freezing beyond 25' and I'm tired of flying blind. For the record this is the P2V+. I've read any and all post regarding the FPV dropping out. Have a new WiFi module in hand, but would like to slow down a bit to make sure it is the problem.

The WiFi repeater appears to be sending out an SSID constantly. Is this the same for others?

Whereas the hidden MAC associated with the bird's WiFi module ($189) is sending an SSID signal off and on. Much like a typical wireless router would broadcast. Is this what other people are experiencing?

I'm using an Android App, WiFi Analyzer, and have been testing with this tool to identify what I have going wrong. Once the hidden broadcast is seen within the app I can create an Alias to help watch it. At present I have the unit sitting idle with temp prob's recording temp data on the WiFi module. So far I am not seeing any temps above 60c. So I believe the issue is not temp related, but will confirm otherwise.

Bottom line I don't want to spend the $189 if I don't need to, cheaper if it was the repeater. Little upset my dealer claimed the yaw mod voided my warranty.... :roll:

Try setting the preview quality back to 320x240 at 15 fps. If that works up it to 30 fps and see if it still works. Have had major issues at 640x480.

j69chevelle said:
Try setting the preview quality back to 320x240 at 15 fps. If that works up it to 30 fps and see if it still works. Have had major issues at 640x480.

Tried that and no good, thanks for the reply. Out of the box the unit would give full preview quality out to 1200', my limit of comfort at the time. Ten weeks later the FPV has degraded to failure in my book. I fly the same place all the time and have at least 140 full battery flights in total, so the location is not a changed factor.

I understand what LuCI is and I'm just not there yet to add another learning curve to this endeavor. I will dive in later, but not at the moment...thanks for the advice all the same.

Try to fly in a rural environment first to determine and exclude any outside interference.
If i fly in a curtain spot here i have the same result as you're having even i can fly the bird 3.8 mile with no FPV loss.
It is in the corner of a corn field and next to woodland.
So make sure you're having the same issue on several locations.
Are you making a connection with the tablet true your wifi extender or directly to the ?11.11.11 seen in the wifi analyzer ?

RichWest said:

So you are seeing telemetry and battery info sent out periodically but you are not seeing the constant stream for the FPV......

I think you said it gradually got worse with time. Loosen the screw on that wifi unit, take a hair dryer it till its warm to the touch and peel it off. I found it easier to remove the plugs first. Be careful and dont knock the electrolytic capacitor off the mother board. Swap in your new one and see if the problem is resolved.

problem starts after 25 minutes or 25 seconds ?

I replaced my wifi module and at the time agonized over whether it was the right move. The part sat on a shelf for four weeks until I finally installed it. It has worked flawlessly since. I was getting telemetry and battery info as well as the ability to tilt the camera. But I had no FPV. Just a black screen. At first the problem came and went after 20 minutes of flying or after I changed the first battery. Then it stayed. Now, I use a variety of devices. iPad, Nexus 7 and Galaxy s4. No problem connecting to any of them since replacing the wifi module. Sorry you are having trouble and good luck.

dronebandit said:
problem starts after 25 minutes or 25 seconds ?

Good question, I think it's distance more than anything. Sitting last night within 2 foot, everything worked fine for more than 60 minutes. So I guess that rules out heat caused the boards to go crazy, could that be correct? BTW, batteries last well over 30 minutes when you just idle the device. So the issue could be with one or both of the antennas, rather than the wifi modules at either end. I got less than 100' this afternoon and the image was freezing when the device's left side was facing me or if the distance was greater.

Wow, could this be as simple as a bad antenna??

wxman said:
I replaced my wifi module and at the time agonized over whether it was the right move. The part sat on a shelf for four weeks until I finally installed it. It has worked flawlessly since.

You obviously know where I'm at, this is painful. I guess the question to ask, how long has the current module held up? Or rather the duration of flights, would that be consider significant over the original?

Your reply would be helpful. I'd rather fly tomorrow, not in four weeks...if you know what I mean. ;)

ToThePoint said:
Try to fly in a rural environment first to determine and exclude any outside interference.
If i fly in a curtain spot here i have the same result as you're having even i can fly the bird 3.8 mile with no FPV loss.
It is in the corner of a corn field and next to woodland.
So make sure you're having the same issue on several locations.
Are you making a connection with the tablet true your wifi extender or directly to the ?11.11.11 seen in the wifi analyzer ?

Flew rural two weeks ago, got maybe 250' feet. Trees were a factor, however even in line of sight that was my max if at all. It's was a little less in my local spot, I've read at least 8 SSID's, plus a cell tower and an ISD police antenna tower both within 300' of my location. In the beginning 1200' (two weeks new) was no issue. I am using the correct network and method, Phantom_XXXXXX. I'm at a baseball field somewhere every other weekend, issues are the same.

Thanks for your advice.

I replaced it 2 weeks ago. Did some heavy flying last weekend. No drop of signal for 3 batteries. Before replacement, image would not come up at all. So it isvworking well. Can't say how long it will last. But others in this forum have not said that their problem came back.

wxman said:
I replaced it 2 weeks ago. Did some heavy flying last weekend. No drop of signal for 3 batteries. Before replacement, image would not come up at all. So it isvworking well. Can't say how long it will last. But others in this forum have not said that their problem came back.

I had read of the successes before I joined the forum, here and else where. Just wasn't sure of the success duration, once the bullet was bitten.

Here's to yours never being a problem again. Thank you for your reply.

Based on the heat issue and the lack of connection when left facing, I'll assume an antenna is not properly connected or failed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wifi module will heat up faster due to no antenna being installed? I'll try to purchase a factory antenna and replace. Otherwise or later I'll upgrade to a Horizon or FPVLR antenna...

RichWest said:
Based on the heat issue and the lack of connection when left facing, I'll assume an antenna is not properly connected or failed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wifi module will heat up faster due to no antenna being installed? I'll try to purchase a factory antenna and replace. Otherwise or later I'll upgrade to a Horizon or FPVLR antenna...

Did you replace the module and still get no feed?

The heat is going to be there, we just want it sinking to the case. The antennas coming out the wifi module have different output mosfets.

That top section of the wifi sure gets warm and there is no thermal compound sinking those two fets to the internal shielding that is connected with thermal paste to the outer case. Its like taking 2 garden hoses and not coupling them together and hoping you get water out of the 2nd one..... :lol:

burlbark said:
RichWest said:

Did you replace the module and still get no feed?

The heat is going to be there, we just want it sinking to the case. The antennas coming out the wifi module have different output mosfets.

That top section of the wifi sure gets warm and there is no thermal compound sinking those two fets to the internal shielding that is connected with thermal paste to the outer case. Its like taking 2 garden hoses and not coupling them together and hoping you get water out of the 2nd one..... :lol:

Not yet, holding off until more supplies arrive. No need to heat stress the new wifi module prior to resolving another assumed issue.

Wxman I took your advice... I changed out the suspect wifi module with the new unit, problem still the same. I will reinstall the old wifi module back since it was not the source of the problem. Have the Stage 3 antenna set coming from FPVLR. Will change out the bird's video antennas first to identify if it is the source of problems. It will be interesting to see if one of the factory antennas is the source of the problem...

I unloaded a lot of stuff also when I started to trouble shoot and deleted/installed the app. I have two android devices, both experienced the same issues. This is a hardware issue, I have no doubts. Will post final outcome once resolved...just waiting on parts to arrive...

Really like your avatar AsiaFlyer!

Update:

Changed out all the antennas, except the control side on the bird. Just didn't have time to tackle the black goo of death. FPVLR Stage 3 set. Here's the steps I took to narrow down what had failed.
Changing out just the one assumed bad port side 2.4 wifi antenna did not resolve the issue. Replaced the second and still the same.
Changing out the wifi extender antenna pair made no further improvements.
Frustrated, changed out the control's antenna since I had all the tools out. No change in FPV.
I did take off the gimbal, remove and re-install all the cables. Again no change in FPV.
This took three days to test and fly...each day as things were added.

So we had a northern blow through and I had some time this afternoon to fly in a spot I've been wanting to shoot since buying the P2V+. It was 38F with +10MPH winds. Before I flew again I had cleared the cache in the app and then deleted the app. Reinstalled the app after rebooting the Android phone, I guess this would be a clean install... I'm getting full quality FPV out to 600'!?! Which is the furthest I was able to fly based on the wind and location.

At this point it is related to something heating up, at least I think. Yes, this is the third time I've reloaded the app. I don't agree that it is the wifi module, since the new module purchased did the exactly the same and the fact I'm able to FPV at short distances (10') with the original unit for an hour's runtime. I have a wifi extender on the way, but will hold off changing out until the FPV issue returns. You know FPV is going to fail again... Will keep those that are interested updated as to outcome based on warmer temperature and/or replaced hardware...should be 85F+ in a another week...TEXAS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic