WiFi, remote control range P3S

Reaction score
I have a new P3S and I have been flying it a few times in beginner mode to get the hang of the controls and all. I want to switch out of beginner mode and wanted to get a full understanding of the remote, and the range between the remote and the drone. I know that I have a good connection between the aircraft and my phone via WiFi. Is the WiFi really necessary when flying the drone at great distances? And is the link between the drone and the controller minus the WiFi all you need when flying "line of sight"? What I am asking is if you have a good line of sight with the drone, is a phone really necessary? Thanks everybody...

Try having a good line of sight at 500m. Ha ha. It's always a good idea to have good wifi signal as without this you can't see how much battery life you have left or distance or height. Just look at how you do a rth with no wifi connection. Could save you one day. Enjoy flying;)

Reactions: Keeney101
See post #3 in this thread for an excellent overview WiFi and control communications.

Communications Clarification

Number #6 is better! :)
Communications Clarification

@PISGAHFLYER
"I know that I have a good connection between the aircraft and my phone via WiFi."
WiFi, is kind of a vague term in Phantoms, your Phone is hooked to WiFi from the remote, not the Phantom.

"is a phone really necessary?"
No, and nobody is going to recommend flying without it.

I think from you post, you should learn more about RTH, this is the Fail Safe System, that makes people fail.

Best Method to RTH?
Lesson learned from crash by RTH because flying with a low battery
Lost Signal, P3S Hovered Instead of RTH

Rod ;)

Reactions: Keeney101
mmmm considering the end info is the same - who cares if its 3 or 6 ... the point is WiFi is between Tablet and RC ... WiFi between AC and RC is telemetry / video. Actual control is 5.8

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1