WIFI Range

Reaction score
I know it has been talked about, I've read the post but,, in order to get a better WIFI range is it possible just to disable what is currently installed and start over?? If so how to proceed? As you can tell I am just getting started. Like the FC40 just terrible WIFI range. I also would like to install an OSD, any suggestions

mrself58 said:
I know it has been talked about, I've read the post but,, in order to get a better WIFI range is it possible just to disable what is currently installed and start over?? If so how to proceed? As you can tell I am just getting started. Like the FC40 just terrible WIFI range. I also would like to install an OSD, any suggestions

You can search the forum for wifi repeaters and set one of those up.

I've had my FC40 out to just over 220m in a built up residentail area and still had perfectly good wifi for the video feed.
at that distance the fc40 is just a blip.

Make sure you have a good class 10 sd card in it....it will make all the difference in the world on your range..

Nada1 said:
Make sure you have a good class 10 sd card in it....it will make all the difference in the world on your range..

wait a minute.... WHAT?!
I'd like to label that as big time misinformation unless im missing something on how the FC40 works.
But the class of an SD card is just about write speeds and has no effect on the wifi signal.

I thought the same thing until I was advised otherwise......the camera will always write before it transmits.....so if it takes some time to write to the card, you will loose wifi.....I know, i was not a believer, unable to see how the two were tied, but it makes a BIG difference

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11916

Nada1 said:
I thought the same thing until I was advised otherwise......the camera will always write before it transmits.....so if it takes some time to write to the card, you will loose wifi.....I know, i was not a believer, unable to see how the two were tied, but it makes a BIG difference

I have the same experience of losing WiFi connection before when I use a class 4 SD card.
:geek: :geek: :geek:

Nada1 said:

lol, still doesnt make sense to me.
Especially when i compare it to my ar drone which i had a cheapy usb stick in for recording. But then again, 2 different things.
BTW, you linked to this thread

dragonash said:
Nada1 said:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11916

lol, still doesnt make sense to me.
Especially when i compare it to my ar drone which i had a cheapy usb stick in for recording. But then again, 2 different things.
BTW, you linked to this thread

Range test yours without a card, or with card and not set to record. That way, you will know the capabilities.

Slow writes due to card speed, as well as low battery level are 2 possibilities for inconsistent operation.

Talking about card classes...

I tried a 1Gb card and could not even get WiFi to connect. I then put in the 32 Gb card I use for my handheld HD Camera and bingo !

FYI found the solution on youtube. It is a Hawking range extender. Set it up like a wifi and now I can get FPV just as far as I can see by eye. LOT better.

DSC_6503_zps65a01cf3.jpg

Here is my WIFI extender. There is a 12V battery, voltage regulator (12V=>9V) and TP-link TL-WA830RE.
DSC_6506_zps7d0d2d44.jpg

I have not test it yet, but I hope it gives me over 200 meter range...

Don't know if i have bad eyesight or not but my FC40 will go out of view and never lost wifi signal yet, I think the people who want the crazy long range wifi signals might need to think about flying a different model to the FC40 as I think it performs perfect.
I'am using a sandisk class 10 16gb memory card and a iPhone 5c with my FC40 and all is good.

Not sure about this....I use a class 10 card, and my range with that alone is over 200 meters

Nada1 said:
Not sure about this....I use a class 10 card, and my range with that alone is over 200 meters

i'm only getting about 75 yards. Have iPhone 5 but not sure what class my card is.
How do you just do a manual turn on and how long will a 16g card record for?

not really sure....I have gone thru 5 battery's and its only used around 10 gig. I had no range until I purchased a class 10 card, they do make a big difference

I have an Iphone 5 as well. I borrowed a samsung galaxy s2 today and got much better range. If the iphone loses connection it closes the app instantly while the android version will drop out but give you some time to reconnect. Sometimes there are bad spots where the wifi drops out but will reconnect even if you go further out. With the iphone you will lose connection totally. I can say the experience on the Samsung was a lot better.

I can't wait to get my hands on a galaxy s5 and see what range I get. It supposedly has great antennas.

Nada1 said:

How can you tell the "class" of the memory card?

Is it written on there?

Some have a "10" on them, some just have a "1"

$T2eC16NHJGoFFviDuD7sBReNdo4ueQ~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!jcFJi-jzRNjBSc9hIbWBw~~60_57.JPG

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJGoFFviDuD7sBReNdo4ueQ~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16NHJGoFFviDuD7sBReNdo4ueQ~~60_12.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 615
  • $(KGrHqV,!jcFJi-jzRNjBSc9hIbWBw~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!jcFJi-jzRNjBSc9hIbWBw~~60_57.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 626
I sure can attest to using the class 10 card for the wifi in the camera. I was getting around 800 feet before the video would cut out. Bought a class 10 Sandisk card and wow did it make a difference. I put measured signs down my property every hundred feet starting from 800 to 1000. Just beyond 1000 there is 60 more feet to my fence and trees. I made it all the way with no problem. Then I went 200 feet back from where I started and tried. It went the whole distance of 1260 feet but when it returned it lost the signal at about 1000 feet out. Still very happy with the distance though. Who would of thought a little memory card would make that much difference. I am sold completely.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20