Wifi range extender battery runtime questions

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I was out flying in a forrest last weekend and the temp was just below freezing. I tried to keep the flight batteries warm prior to flight and this worked fine but it was noticeable how much it reduced the runtime on the wifi range extender over the course of the morning.

I have two questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

First - has anyone who has had a similar experience in cold weather simply plugged a GoPuck type external USB power source into the range extender to increase runtime (rather flying, charging, flying, charging, etc) and did this work okay? Given how long it takes to charge the range extender from flat, it looks like the charge circuitry in the extender is charging well below 1C and I'm curious whether external power via the USB port will keep up with discharge rate. ie - if the range extender is discharging the battery at 1C but the charger only charges at 1/4C, then this isn't going to work.

Second - can anyone tell me what sort of battery chemistry and cell count is in the range extender? I fly a range of other high-end electric rc for which I make backs and wiring harnesses, so I am more than happy to mod the range extender with an external battery doubled into battery system. I'm curious as to what is in their before I open it up in case I can pop out at lunch and grab the right LiPo/LiFe/etc.

Thanks,
Garrett

Garrett said:
Hi Folks,

I was out flying in a forrest last weekend and the temp was just below freezing. I tried to keep the flight batteries warm prior to flight and this worked fine but it was noticeable how much it reduced the runtime on the wifi range extender over the course of the morning.

I have two questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

First - has anyone who has had a similar experience in cold weather simply plugged a GoPuck type external USB power source into the range extender to increase runtime (rather flying, charging, flying, charging, etc) and did this work okay? Given how long it takes to charge the range extender from flat, it looks like the charge circuitry in the extender is charging well below 1C and I'm curious whether external power via the USB port will keep up with discharge rate. ie - if the range extender is discharging the battery at 1C but the charger only charges at 1/4C, then this isn't going to work.

Second - can anyone tell me what sort of battery chemistry and cell count is in the range extender? I fly a range of other high-end electric rc for which I make backs and wiring harnesses, so I am more than happy to mod the range extender with an external battery doubled into battery system. I'm curious as to what is in their before I open it up in case I can pop out at lunch and grab the right LiPo/LiFe/etc.

Thanks,
Garrett

This works like a charm I just plug it in and fly have run 12 batteries through and still going
they make bigger but why
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VB ... UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 936
Fantastic. I have a couple of similar 4000mAh units so good to know I can just plug them in and fly.

Thanks again,
Garrett

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4