WiFi-Only iPad Air 2 v. Cellular iPad Air 2

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
WiFi-Only iPad Air 2 v. Cellular iPad Air 2

Does the unrestricted use of all the Pilot App features currently require a Cellular iPad with a data contract, or can a WiFi Only iPad still be fully used, when using an iPhone 6+ as a Hotspot, and a Blue Tooth connected Bad Elf Pro or Bad Elf Pro+ for precise transmitter location data?

The two main differences between "WiFi only" and "Cellular" iPads, with a data contract, are the lack of an internal GPS chip on WiFi only iPads (the missing cellular antennas are needed for the GPS chip to work) and the lack of access to the internet to download maps on the fly on the WiFi only iPad, when away from all WiFi in the field.

Both of these limitations can easily be technically overcome.
1. A Bad Elf Pro+ GPS device can be connected via BT to a "WiFi only" iPad for 1 meter location accuracy. The Bad Elf Pro+ can also be BT connected to a cellular iPad and an iPhone 6+ for more precise location data than the cellular iPad or iPhone 6+ is capable of natively.
2. A WiFi only iPad can be connected to an iPhone 6+ acting as a Hotspot, which gives full access to cellular data, and the internet, and can then download maps over the internet and access location data through the iPhone 6+.

However, the Pilot app itself still has to support accessing these secondary sources for location data and downloading the necessary maps. It isn't clear to me that the Pilot app currently does. If it doesn't, it should. The Chief Bad Elf "Helper" has offered to work with the DJI Pilot app programmers to assist in making the use of the Bad Elf location data possible, should my suspicions be confirmed by the responses of others to this thread. If not, then I will learn how to do what I have been trying to do, on a WiFi Only iPad Air 2, from those who are already doing it!

The critical use of the location data is for resetting the Home Point to the transmitter location, since there is no GPS in the P3P transmitter, unlike the Inspire transmitter, which does have built in GPS. However, whenever I have attempted to use this feature from my WiFi only iPads, while Hotspot connected to the iPhone 6+ and BT connected to the Bad Elf Pro+, I receive an error message that says something similar to "Unable to determine location---Home Point not reset."

Similarly, in the field, with the same HotSpot setup, the detailed maps were not able to be downloaded, and unavailable, unless previously downloaded at home over WiFi.

The iOS is seeing and using the Bad Elf Pro+ location data, and my transmitter location on the Pilot map is shown as a tight blue dot, just like in Apple Maps, rather than the much larger circle of uncertainty when connected only to WiFi at home. So part of the Pilot app is displaying the Bad Elf data, but apparently, for me, not yet able to use it for restting the Home Point to the transmitter location.

So....

1. Is anyone using a WiFi Only iPad Air 2 able to reset the Home Point to the transmitter location through any means? If so, how?

2 Is anyone using a WiFi Only iPad Air 2 able to download detailed maps in the field by any means? If so, how?

I would forget about tethering to a phone for live map data during flight, unless you have a way to only transmit on 5.8ghz. I've tried it before myself between an iPhone with SIM and Galaxy S5 without SIM on the tx. The 2.4ghz interference kills your range and makes the Lightbridge almost unusable.

However, you can cache maps ahead of time in the app so they're available during flight even without a cellular data connection.

I would forget about tethering to a phone for live map data during flight, unless you have a way to only transmit on 5.8ghz. I've tried it before myself between an iPhone with SIM and Galaxy S5 without SIM on the tx. The 2.4ghz interference kills your range and makes the Lightbridge almost unusable.

However, you can cache maps ahead of time in the app so they're available during flight even without a cellular data connection.
Any idea what frequency spectrum the iPhone HotSpot uses? Is it the same as the 2.4 GHz of the transmitter and Lightbridge? I suppose one could use the HotSpot in the field to first get the maps, and then disconnect from it before launch, if it interferes.

Still hoping for clarification of whether the Pilot app will allow use of a BT connected GPS to a WiFi only iPad Air2 for resetting the Home Point to the Transmitter location, or whether the Pilot app requires a Cellular GPS location from a Cellular iPad Air 2, even if no data contract has been purchased. :rolleyes:

Any takers? :cool:

Any idea what frequency spectrum the iPhone HotSpot uses? Is it the same as the 2.4 GHz of the transmitter and Lightbridge? I suppose one could use the HotSpot in the field to first get the maps, and then disconnect from it before launch, if it interferes.

The built-in hotspot in iOS is 2.4ghz and does a number on the Lightbridge. It's best to enable airplane mode on the device when flying.

Yes, that's what I meant by caching the maps. If you pan/zoom around the area you want to fly in ahead of time, it will cache that map data.

I'm a newbie. I'm waiting for my P3 Pro. delivery. I have iPad Air and a mini iPad 2, both are WiFi only. This may sound stupid. Will my iPhone 6+ GPS work alone until I'm able to get a Bad Elf Pro+ or some other GPS fix?

I'm a newbie. I'm waiting for my P3 Pro. delivery. I have iPad Air and a mini iPad 2, both are WiFi only. This may sound stupid. Will my iPhone 6+ GPS work alone until I'm able to get a Bad Elf Pro+ or some other GPS fix?
if you're asking whether you can install the pilot app on a iPhone 6, then yes, it will work. If you're asking whether you can transmit your gps info from your iPhone to your iPad running the pilot app, then it won't work.

Thanks bbfpv for responding
Well....DJI just email me stating my order is delayed for about a month had no idea that P3P was so popular hoping to fly soon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20