WIFI of FC40 Camera not working

Reaction score
Hello.
All of the sudden I found my FC40 camera wifi signal not showing anywhere.

When I power up the camera, the led starts flashing but I cannot see the SSID on none f my WIFI enabled devices.

Looks like my cam's wifi had died...

Any one had this problem before?
Thanks
Fernando

Same exact problem here. What to do now? Is DJI's warranty any good and how long is it good for?

Probably not your problem, but the wifi on mine wouldn't work with my 64 Gb memory card. Put a 2 Gb one and it worked.

But my iPhone doesn't see it - my Kindle does. And my wifi repeater does, too.

Mine will connect for a minute or so, but when I put it back in the holder it seems to disconnect. I think I will try the 2GB card deal and see if that works.

Contacted DJI North America. Not much help there. They said I should contact seller. Here is correspondence.

Hello,
I am having problems with the camera on the FC40 I ordered from you. It will not connect to wifi on my Apple iPhone 5 or my IPad. I'm using the fc40 app and if it does connect it disconnects as soon as I place it in the holder. I switched cards to a Class 10 SD card 16GB thinking that might help. I've tried everything from reinstalling the app to making sure I was fully charged. I contacted DJI North American Support and the said I should contact you and arrange to ship it back to you. It seems illogical that we would send the entire unit back, but I'll do what you want me to do. I think we should try switching the cameras out. Is that possible and how do we proceed? I've read all the boards about this problem and cannot find a solution. Please help.
Thanks
Brad

From DJI
Brad

Called in: Purchased FC40 via Amazon on April 1st. Camera has not once worked nor connected with the FC40 app on his iPhone 5. Verified that he has removed/reinstalled the app. Suggested that he contact Amazon to see if he can return the unit

Still no wifi signal.

The card is a 16Gb card, class 10 and it has worked before.

The wifi SSID was always recognized by the Android devices I use as well as by the PC...

Suddenly the camera's wifi stopped broadcasting.

It starts flashing green, the it stops, led off. then start again... then stop.. then restart... stays like this forever unless we start recording or turn the camera off.
It consumes all battery power.

I had it working one day after having write this post, but it went back to no work again...

MAYBE this will do:
http://www.banggood.com/Portable-Multif ... 91093.html

MagiCminD said:
Still no wifi signal.

The card is a 16Gb card, class 10 and it has worked before.

The wifi SSID was always recognized by the Android devices I use as well as by the PC...

Suddenly the camera's wifi stopped broadcasting.

It starts flashing green, the it stops, led off. then start again... then stop.. then restart... stays like this forever unless we start recording or turn the camera off.
It consumes all battery power.

I had it working one day after having write this post, but it went back to no work again...

MAYBE this will do:
http://www.banggood.com/Portable-Multif ... 91093.html

That camera will not fit the FC40 "cage". It is not the camera the description was copied from. It will not work with the app referenced on the stolen description.

It is closer to the Relee camera at the bottom of the description, but did not run the Relee app.

I have tried to get Bangood to remove the misleading description; pigs will fly first.

If you want to play with one of those, PM me and I will meet their price and save you a month of waiting.

Probably easier to just buy a FC40 camera from a board member that is using a GoPro.

You might call DJI North America, but they will just tell you to contact the people you bought it from. I did that and the company I bought it from said they would send me a new camera out. I purchased it from Kazoom on Amazon. They are a great company and I highly recommend them.

same. exact. problem. I have this feeling (no proof) the camera's SSID broadcasts more reliably when i dont have my 16gb SD card in. emailed support minutes ago... lets see what happens - bought from kazoom via amazon, using iphone 5s

My camera was doing the same thing. What I found was that when the camera is in the frame, the levered power button would press against the camera and shut it down within a minute or 2. I reversed the camera in the mount so it was facing out the back of the frame and the problem cleared. I just have to be sure i turn the camera on before I place it into the frame as the button is now not on the same side as the actual camera power button. As for contacting, DJI, what I got was "dead air". The never responded to my Emails. I am going to be installing a gimbal soon anyway, so i will not be using the camera on the bird soon, so I am not going to press it with them.

i dug up an old 2gb memory card... camera works much more reliably now, wifi ssid always shows up on my phone, FPV works, and recording works... looks like crappy dji didnt expect its users to use memory sticks manufactured after 1999

DJI Support got back to me (6 days later). I described the problem with the camera and they replied:

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (20065) has been solved. Please submit a new request if you have any further questions.

Agent_02
Agent_02 (DJI Technology)
May 21 08:20

Dear Brad,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technology.

If the camera on the unit is defective we would suggest reaching out to the original dealer and request an exchange.

Thank you for flying with DJI Technology.

Jason
DJI Technology Customer Service

Wow.. what great help! They don't say my camera is defective because of my problem description. They just mark my problem as "solved" by saying that if it is defective, I should send it back... Thanks DJI!

slipdip said:
Wow.. what great help! They don't say my camera is defective because of my problem description. They just mark my problem as "solved" by saying that if it is defective, I should send it back... Thanks DJI!

Yeah, really helpful. Like Amazon (in my case) has extra cameras sitting around.....

Oh man, DJI support provides valuable insight yet again! I asked:

Does the description of my problem classify the camera as defective? Is there a maximum size memory stick that the camera supports?

And they responded:

Without being able to physically inspect the camera we wouldn't be able to confirm that it is defective. However, from the description it sounds like the internal WiFi is having issues.

All the product information for the rest of the questions you can get most of the product specs online. Please visit http://www.dji.com/info/releases/dji-re ... antom-fc40 for the full tech specs.

We hope you have found this information helpful.

We're really on a productive path to troubleshooting the issue!

I dont know what the smallest size card it will work with but have used a 2gb in mine and it worked ok even being a class 1 card. But The problem did sound to me to be a wifi antenna issue. They are not even connected to the board in anyway other then just 2 contacts that the antenna makes contact with when the case is closed. and they are also 2 dissimilar metals which just by that can cause some corrosion from whats called galvanic corrosion any time 2 different metals are touching each other. and can cause a circuit to no longer make a good connection. I would try to smack it on a Soft surface such as a mouse pad or palm of you hand and see it it can giggle the antenna enough to make it contact again. Don't worry that thing is pretty tuff and can take some abuse and both a mouse pad or hand wont hurt it.

Id say to open her up and clean the contacts on the antenna and make sure the screw that holds it down is tight. But that bugger is a real sob to open with out breaking any of the tiny tabs that hold the case closed and needs to be done very very carefully and methodically with a tiny tiny tiny screw driver while referencing pictures of the insides to know were the tabs are to press them in with the screw driver threw the outer seams along the case and the bezel.

J.James said:
I dont know what the smallest size card it will work with but have used a 2gb in mine and it worked ok even being a class 1 card. But The problem did sound to me to be a wifi antenna issue. They are not even connected to the board in anyway other then just 2 contacts that the antenna makes contact with when the case is closed. and they are also 2 dissimilar metals which just by that can cause some corrosion from whats called galvanic corrosion any time 2 different metals are touching each other. and can cause a circuit to no longer make a good connection. I would try to smack it on a Soft surface such as a mouse pad or palm of you hand and see it it can giggle the antenna enough to make it contact again. Don't worry that thing is pretty tuff and can take some abuse and both a mouse pad or hand wont hurt it.

Id say to open her up and clean the contacts on the antenna and make sure the screw that holds it down is tight. But that bugger is a real sob to open with out breaking any of the tiny tabs that hold the case closed and needs to be done very very carefully and methodically with a tiny tiny tiny screw driver while referencing pictures of the insides to know were the tabs are to press them in with the screw driver threw the outer seams along the case and the bezel.

Do you have these reference pictures?

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... -201309003

Go down till you see the part that says internal pics. Tho the contacts are different then on the pics they have 2 circles of solder on the board as the contacts next to the sd card reader. and in reality they left it to just have two bare spots on the board that touch the antenna. But the antenna is the same as pictured and the spots they contact are able to be found by matching up were the antenna is located. and is that tiny bent metal clip thing shown on page 7 of the internal documents.

Oh an one other thing I forgot to mention if any one trys to open there's you have to take the face off first. Then there is a super tiny screw and the screw in the antenna that hold the back on. If you try to pry the back off with them in still it will break the screw posts. and its also a real pain in the butt to put the board back in if you take it out. It took me over 1/2 hour to try and get it back in just right with out forcing it in or breaking any thing. The usb and card reader keep snagging on the outer edge till I happened to get the right angle to start putting it back in right. It sort of has to go in crooked till on side is in then you have to pull back the edge a bit and let the card reader and usb clear and drop in to place.

Had exactly the same problem. FC40 camera Wifi worked for first 2 flights, then the FC40 SSID no longer shows up. Camera still flashed rapid green on start up, and still recorded video, but no SSID. I tried every combination of button pushing to no avail. (One post said there is a reset next to the Wifi symbol, but don't stick something in the little hole - it is the mic). Here is what finally worked for me - maybe I have a defective camera, but this does work repeatably:
1. Press power button on FC40 to get rapid flashing green
2. Wait for rapid green flashing to turn solid green.
3. Start DJI FC40 app on iPhone; press "Refresh" - but FC40 SSID still does not show up.
4. Go to settings - now FC40 SSID show up - select it.
5. Go back to FC40 app and select FC40 SSID
Sounds crazy but it works for me.

I think you can skip step 3. If you connect your phone or whatever to the camera's wifi, the FC40 app will connect. It just might take 2 or 3 tries to get it to work. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20