Wifi - first post, first question

Reaction score
Hi all. Been reading on here for a little while and have a Phantom 2, Zenmuse 3D gimbal and FPV monitor setup on order. Was hoping to receive it yesterday, but looks like next week now. I already have the amazing Hero 3 black.

From my reading I am very aware of "flyaways". Sure I understand that it is mainly thought of as user error and the fact that no-one posts that they have not had a flyaway, but I'm keen to avoid the things that lead up to them. Having over a grand fly off into oblivion is not what I want!

Wifi interference - I know a big no-no is to have the gopro wifi on. I have no need for that and will check before every flight. I understand that the 2.4gHz messes with the Phantom's signal. What about general wifi? Say my home wifi. I have so many wifi devices and can't bear crap signal I have repeaters all over the house to ensure great signal. Even at the bottom of my garden I get the full 50mbs Virgin provides. Will this mess with the Phantom? Do I need to take it into the middle of a field? I've seen loads of shots in city centres which must be littered with wifi signals.

Thoughts appreciated.

PS - seeing as I'll be posting a bit when my Phantom arrives, a little about me. I'm a keen amateur videographer and photographer- I have shot for many years and got my gopro as a second camera some time ago alongside my main Panasonic SD900 and love the size and indestructible nature of it. It has made my videos so much more interesting. I use it mounted everywhere, underwater, bikes, cars, you name it. This Phantom will make me king of land, air and sea!

Welcome! I am a starting flyer myself. flown 2 times, no fly aways ;-)

The problem with your question is everywhere is different, I would suggest the best place to learn is away from everything, you then cant' hit next doors house the tree etc.

Try landing, catching turning and knowing which way the controller moves, (away is not always away from you, if you turned 90 degrees)

Just keep it a 20m (above everything near) or so and fly 100m or so away, that way its above most things you can see it and learn to fly, The Isod make things much easier as it gives height and distance and the way home.

Just don't rush into doing 4 km and 500 m high, and you will be fine after a few flights, and I always hover for 30 secs before fly, that way you know if you have a problem before you are at 400 m away

Simon

Thanks Simon - I fully agree with you. To be perfectly honest, from my own point of view, shots loose perspective when really high up. I have purchased mine for kind of like an extended dolly or boom. I doubt there will be many shots I will use google earth style!

The wifi interference issue has everything to do with proximity. The problem with the GoPro WiFi is that it is right next to the receiver antennas. It's like putting a pair of loud headphones on and then trying to have a conversation with someone across the room. Your home wifi won't be an issue. Even a bunch of wifi hotspots won't typically be an issue either until you get pretty far away.

simon3000gt said:
I always hover for 30 secs before fly, that way you know if you have a problem before you are at 400 m away

Simon

A good tip. I do the same and it has saved me once or twice :)

Practice flying it without gimbal & camera on it would be my recommendation. Another "no no" - keep the wifi remote controller for your GoPro far away - it can raise havoc with your Phantom also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav