Wifi Extender Position Toward Aircraft

Reaction score
I understand that the 5.8 ghz antenna should not point straight at the aircraft (the side should point at it vs the tip), but what is the best position to point the wifi extender? Should I point the big surface area part of it directly at the phantom, or should I be pointing it some other way that would be better?

Thanks in advance!

MattUNI2001 said:
I understand that the 5.8 ghz antenna should not point straight at the aircraft (the side should point at it vs the tip), but what is the best position to point the wifi extender? Should I point the big surface area part of it directly at the phantom, or should I be pointing it some other way that would be better?

Thanks in advance!

The flat surface of the wifi extender should be parallel to the Phantom. Point it directly at the craft.

D_Tshudy said:
The flat surface of the wifi extender should be parallel to the Phantom. Point it directly at the craft.

Thanks, that is what I figured and just wanted to be sure. A lot of times, for close range flight (within 20 feet), my video goes out, and it isn't until I get to 20+ feet where it then comes back in perfectly for 2000+ feet. Figured I should double check.

MattUNI2001 said:
Thanks, that is what I figured and just wanted to be sure. A lot of times, for close range flight (within 20 feet), my video goes out, and it isn't until I get to 20+ feet where it then comes back in perfectly for 2000+ feet. Figured I should double check.

This is a common occurrence... When dealing with flat patch antennas it is better to point the repeater away from the Phantom when you get in close... it will actually bog out the receiver in the repeater because the signal is way too strong up close... I've been dealing with that same situation with my old AR drone Heli-Pad mod for a couple years now and have learned to just point the controller away from the drone as it gets inside 40 feet or so... keeps the video stream solid.

DBS said:
MattUNI2001 said:

This is a common occurrence... When dealing with flat patch antennas it is better to point the repeater away from the Phantom when you get in close... it will actually bog out the receiver in the repeater because the signal is way too strong up close... I've been dealing with that same situation with my old AR drone Heli-Pad mod for a couple years now and have learned to just point the controller away from the drone as it gets inside 40 feet or so... keeps the video stream solid.
I just get happy when I learn something new about these things. Thanks for that close in tip.

BlackTracer said:
DBS said:
MattUNI2001 said:

I just get happy when I learn something new about these things. Thanks for that close in tip.

Agreed - thanks for the close up flying tip. It kind of drives me insane sometimes, but I'll get it figured out.. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj