wifi extender mod HELP!!!

Reaction score
ok so i did the wifi extender mod a few weeks back and for the life of me im only getting 1300ft range

here is what i have done

ive tried 2 9dbi omni antennas
ive changed the internal antenna lead 3 times
ive changed the internal connection i put the lead onto 2 times
ive put the extender back to normal internal antennas and got 1100ft range so i did not damage and internals when doing the mod.
i have a brand new tp link 8dbi omni antenna which i tried not 30 mins ago and still only 1300ft range before the camera connection broke

each test was done with a fully charged extender
im using a lg-g2 smart phone to connect to the drone and view the camera
i always fly 100ft in the air with a direct line of sight between me and the drone, always flying above trees never around them

took some pics of what i have done
i screw in the antenna till its tight and cant screw in anymore.

any advice would be welcome as i have ran out of ideas

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab85 ... 62a61f.jpg

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab85 ... afd4d8.jpg

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab85 ... d6bdb8.jpg

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab85 ... 2f12be.jpg

cheers.

Everyone's distance will vary with that said I can only suggest you get a helical LHCP. my range wasn't very consistent with the tp link whips and you have to understand how the antenna emits it's signal in order to aim the omni
Yes it's an onmi directional but with a higher gain the rf pattern is like a flattened donut
Also the pv2 antennas shoot out of the side of the heli so try flying sideways and see how that goes

Yes that is right
I will be selling that same antenna in couple days after I do some more tests

mr_3_0_5 said:
Yes that is right

Wish I would have known. Just bought the 6.5 today. What was you best distance with this one? Are you selling and keeping the compact dome setup?

gfredrone said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
Yes that is right

Wish I would have known. Just bought the 6.5 today. What was you best distance with this one? Are you selling and keeping the compact dome setup?

Yea I need to do a couple more tests with both but will end up selling the 6.5 turn and keep the half dome
The test for the 6.5 I'm getting to 3000 ft consistent 640x480 full pan in all directions beyond 3000 ft it starts to get choppy
The half dome has gotten me to 2500 full 640x480 full pan and starts to get choppy after that
I have just mounted the pinwheels and will do some tests tomorrow with both

mr_3_0_5 said:
gfredrone said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
Yes that is right

Yea I need to do a couple more tests with both but will end up selling the 6.5 turn and keep the half dome
The test for the 6.5 I'm getting to 3000 ft consistent 640x480 full pan in all directions beyond 3000 ft it starts to get choppy
The half dome has gotten me to 2500 full 640x480 full pan and starts to get choppy after that
I have just mounted the pinwheels and will do some tests tomorrow with both

your going to do the 1/2 dome and pinwheel on repeater stock vision first right :)
or is that what you quoted (2500) and now your adding to vision?

your going to do the 1/2 dome and pinwheel on repeater stock vision first right :)
or is that what you quoted (2500) and now your adding to vision?[/quote]

Yes the half dome and pinwheel on the repeater and stock pv2 has gotten me to 2500 ft solid
Also my testing area wasn't the greatest but I have been doing all my tests here so at least they are consistent

mr_3_0_5 said:

Yes the half dome and pinwheel on the repeater and stock pv2 has gotten me to 2500 ft solid
Also my testing area wasn't the greatest but I have been doing all my tests here so at least they are consistent[/quote]

thank you :D
just for comparison what did you get in this same area stock, as Many have dramatic differences
ive heard 300 ft all the way to 1800 ft stock so hard to know .would like your input so im getting
all distances from one sourse

skyhighdiver said:
mr_3_0_5 said:

Also my testing area wasn't the greatest but I have been doing all my tests here so at least they are consistent

just for comparison what did you get in this same area stock, as Many have dramatic differences
ive heard 300 ft all the way to 1800 ft stock so hard to know .would like your input so im getting
all distances from one sourse[/quote]

I was getting around 1000 ft give or take 100
But just like they advertised

all distances from one sourse[/quote]

I was getting around 1000 ft give or take 100
But just like they advertised[/quote]

thank you for all your help on this could you post a photo of the 1/2 dome with pinwheel set up on your receiver going to order and start my mods want to make sure I do it right.
Would guess the dome mounts to front of repeater and pinwheel points straight up off the top
so the dome is needed to be pointed right at copter and pinwheel straight up in the air right

This is what my setup looks like now (a little ridiculous if i might add haah) ill do some test today since i just finished this last night.

f211.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20