WiFi... Does it really affect flight???

Reaction score
Hey guys
I have read conflicting info about wifi affect flight on phantom

I have a gopro and a phantom 1. On first flight, I use the gopro app and was able to see the delayed view even when the phantom was in flight. Everything seems alright to me

But I hear so many people say that its gonna affect the phantom flight and may cause it to runaway.

Sound to me something like not turning on your mobile during airplane take off and landing!!

Can somebody share more on this??

The 2.4GHz signal used by the gopro wifi can and will interfere with the 2.4GHz control signal the Phantom's controller uses. I've experienced it and so have numerous others, disregard at your own risk.

hellhole said:
Hey guys
I have read conflicting info about wifi affect flight on phantom

I have a gopro and a phantom 1. On first flight, I use the gopro app and was able to see the delayed view even when the phantom was in flight. Everything seems alright to me

But I hear so many people say that its gonna affect the phantom flight and may cause it to runaway.

Sound to me something like not turning on your mobile during airplane take off and landing!!

Can somebody share more on this??

You bet it does. RF (Radio Frequency) is very suceptible as it is and more so if on the same frequency. I would keep any RF emitting device away from your bird.

On the topic, kind of:

Is it also safe to assume that my iPhone can also interfere with the controller? It can jump back and forth between 2.4 and 5 GHz.

And on a side note about cell phones in aircraft.... please heed the instructions of the crew and turn them off when they say to. I know a friend who nearly had to ditch a perfectly good helicopter into the ocean because a passenger didn't turn his phone off, and when it rang it set off the master warning caption for a fire detector in the baggage compartment! Fun times.

HeliRy said:
On the topic, kind of:

Is it also safe to assume that my iPhone can also interfere with the controller? It can jump back and forth between 2.4 and 5 GHz.

And on a side note about cell phones in aircraft.... please heed the instructions of the crew and turn them off when they say to. I know a friend who nearly had to ditch a perfectly good helicopter into the ocean because a passenger didn't turn his phone off, and when it rang it set off the master warning caption for a fire detector in the baggage compartment! Fun times.

There are transmitters and there are receivers. Interference happens on the receiving side; so in your case, it would probably interfere if the iPhone is broadcasting (streaming data) while it's close with your quad (where the 2.4ghz receiver is).

So if it's flying and away from your iPhone, I don't think it matters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers