Reaction score
I recently purchased a second hand Phantom 3 Standard and have been disappointed with the range of the Wi-Fi (for live video and telemetry data). Even when flying on open ground with the nearest house about 300m away, I lose the signal a close as 30m away. From what I've read online, I was expecting around 150-200m before the Wi-Fi signal dropped. (I can still control the Phantom 3, but just can't view what the camera is seeing.) What's the typical range others get (without any Wi-Fi extender add-on)?

Given the location of the Wi-Fi antennas within the controller, I tend to always try and point the controller at the aircraft, but that doesn't appear to make any difference. Maybe I need to get even further away from houses (and the many Wi-Fi networks they have)?

I've considered adding a range extender (probably the ARGtek one), but I'm concerned that the fault lies with the Wi-Fi antennas on the aircraft itself.

Any advice more experienced members can offer?

The wifi on my P3S was weak also. After reading countless reviews and other sources I have a Itelite DBS due tomorrow. I chose that over the Argtek due to results of others here on the forum. Many are getting 2 to 3 miles with the DBS on unobstructed flight.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I recently purchased a second hand Phantom 3 Standard and have been disappointed with the range of the Wi-Fi (for live video and telemetry data). Even when flying on open ground with the nearest house about 300m away, I lose the signal a close as 30m away. From what I've read online, I was expecting around 150-200m before the Wi-Fi signal dropped. (I can still control the Phantom 3, but just can't view what the camera is seeing.) What's the typical range others get (without any Wi-Fi extender add-on)?

Given the location of the Wi-Fi antennas within the controller, I tend to always try and point the controller at the aircraft, but that doesn't appear to make any difference. Maybe I need to get even further away from houses (and the many Wi-Fi networks they have)?

I've considered adding a range extender (probably the ARGtek one), but I'm concerned that the fault lies with the Wi-Fi antennas on the aircraft itself.

Any advice more experienced members can offer?
Range extenders don't help, I tried. What is your altitude? DJI told me if you have problems with video or range try going higher but unless you're at the edge of the Grand Canyon flying in a straight line of sight the best I've gotten out of my Phantom 4 for video or distance is about 800 feet!

Range extenders don't help, I tried. What is your altitude? DJI told me if you have problems with video or range try going higher but unless you're at the edge of the Grand Canyon flying in a straight line of sight the best I've gotten out of my Phantom 4 for video or distance is about 800 feet!
I’m more or less at sea level.

The wifi on my P3S was weak also. After reading countless reviews and other sources I have a Itelite DBS due tomorrow. I chose that over the Argtek due to results of others here on the forum. Many are getting 2 to 3 miles with the DBS on unobstructed flight.

Thanks for the info. I’m not sure I want 2 to 3 miles; even half a mile would be more than enough (in fact anything better than the 100 feet I’m getting now).

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Thanks for the info. I’m not sure I want 2 to 3 miles; even half a mile would be more than enough (in fact anything better than the 100 feet I’m getting now).

Just do a little research on range extenders on the site and get opinions of those who use them. I too don't really want to go 2 or 3 miles either, but I think 4000-5000 feet is realistic at about 400 feet altitude. Checkout msinger's "PhantomHelp.com" site also for tips and tricks to increase video range. Be sure to select the correct Phantom you have at the top of the listing.

Thanks. Yes, I found a very good post on how downgrading the firmware has significantly increased the range (for some people at least). I’ll give it a try when I get a few minutes.

I downgraded the firmware and… wow! What a difference!! I got as far as 330m (1,080 feet) before I got nervous and brought it home (I’ve only had the Phantom for a few days, so still getting used to it). There was no picture breakup at all! Very happy!

I downgraded the firmware and… wow! What a difference!! I got as far as 330m (1,080 feet) before I got nervous and brought it home (I’ve only had the Phantom for a few days, so still getting used to it). There was no picture breakup at all! Very happy!

Good to hear you got it worked out. I am running the 1.6.80 firmware with no issues. I guess it's just one of those things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20