Why upgrade to a Futaba radio controller?

Reaction score
Would some of you Futaba owners list some of the biggest reasons you moved from the stock radio controller to Futaba unit? This is something I know very little about.

Is the 14SG the most recommended unit at the moment or is there something else that you might suggest?

Thanks.

For one thing, you can do a lot of neat setup on the controls. Look at the Futaba setup thread on the first page and look at the cool profile ianwood has developed and made available. A lot more control at your fingertips! Another thing that comes to mind is you can use one radio (and fpv receiver/monitor system if you have it set up on the radio) for several different aircraft. As far as range and other factors, others may speak to those.... :?

Here is my pros and cons for getting the Futaba. I got the 14SG for the P2.

Pros:
As mentioned above, programming options and the V5 profile from Ianwood to utilize the extra switches and knobs..
Better build quality, I have had 2 S1 switch failures and the X1 pot go bad on the stock DJI.
The ability to adjust trim on the sticks.
LCD display with built in timers and warnings.
Battery voltage on the display and options for telemetry.
Multiple profiles if you have other aircraft.
Easy pairing if you choose to leave the Phantom receiver.
Comes with FASST receiver if you choose to replace the P2 RX.
Better gimbal controls.
No need for the RC assistant.
Free self centering throttle kit from Futaba.
Excellent, prompt support from Futaba if needed.

Cons:

Expensive.
Looks expensive.
Wife inquires on how expensive.

PhantomPhreak said:
Cons:

Expensive.
Looks expensive.

:lol:

PhantomPhreak said:

Cons:

Expensive.
Looks expensive.

LOL!!! :D

And you might also research the Taranis if $$ is a concern. It and the Futabas have similar features.

Mike said:
And you might also research the Taranis if $$ is a concern. It and the Futabas have similar features.

I haven't purchased a new controller but I'm looking at this Frsky TARANIS $230 because of the cost. It does a lot of the same stuff as the very expensive controllers. I want to upgrade to improve the yaw in my videos.

+1 for the FrSky Taranis. From what I have read about the Futaba and all the things it can do, there is nothing it purports to do that I have not been able to do on the Taranis.

Lanwood has done some excellent posts on setting up and programming the Futaba. I was able to follow his posts(thanks Lanwood) and get the Taranis to do most everything he was able to do for the Futaba. And with the Taranis, there are a few extra things like voice alerts(especially useful when turning on the radio, it will tell you if any switches are not set in their starting position, along with voice warnings for other things you can set up), and since the Taranis is based on opentx programming, I am now experimenting with the Lau scripting to custom program the radio even further.

And most of all, it is about 1/3 the cost of the Futaba 14GS.

One disadvantage, which did at first make me hesitate, is that you will need to install into the Phantom, the FrSky receiver. You can not use the pre existing receiver that is in the Phantom like you can with the Futaba. But after reading a number of posts on how to do it, and now it retrospect, it was very easy to install the FrSky, receiver, much easier than I thought. Also another small detail is, with the Futaba you have to request they send you the extra spring and install it in their radio to center the Throttle stick. With the Taranis, it was just a matter of adjusting some screws already in the radio, to center this stick. Just one less hassle.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20