P3 Firmware Why the range difference between two difference P3S drones

Reaction score
1#

I have two Phantom 3 Standards. One will go out to a distances of over 3,000 feet. The other will lose signal and return home at 1,100 feet. The only difference I can find with them is the firmware. The 3,000 foot drone has firmware 1.09.0200, and the 1,500 foot drone has 1.9.20+. I don't fly either one very much anymore because I also have the P3Pro and a Mini 2. But I would like to know what the difference it between these 2 P3S drones.

The 3,000 foot drone had crashed some years ago and was sent to DJI for repair. When it came back, I notice the increase in range over the other one. Could the firmware be the difference? Could DJI service have installed some special firmware during repair. If so, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 1.9.20+ firmware?

Last edited:
1#

I have two Phantom 3 Standards. One will go out to a distances of over 3,000 feet. The other will lose signal and return home at 1,100 feet. The only difference I can find with them is the firmware. The 3,000 foot drone has firmware 1.09.0200, and the 1,500 foot drone has 1.9.20+. I don't fly either one very much anymore because I also have the P3Pro and a Mini 2. But I would like to know what the difference it between these 2 P3S drones.

The 3,000 foot drone had crashed some years ago and was sent to DJI for repair. When it came back, I notice the increase in range over the other one. Could the firmware be the difference? Could DJI service have installed some special firmware during repair. If so, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 1.9.20+ firmware?

the + sign is something that occurs when one of the modules that the firmware updates, hasn't updated correctly, it usually results from a failed module, hence why it doesnt fly as far, there was a thread somewhere about shorting out some part of the camera module to bypass a part that had burnt out or failed, its been a very long time since that thread so I cant help further.

It may though be possible to downgrade the firmware then reupgrade it again and see if the + sign clears, again do a forum search for downgrading the P3S firmware

the + sign is something that occurs when one of the modules that the firmware updates, hasn't updated correctly, it usually results from a failed module, hence why it doesnt fly as far, there was a thread somewhere about shorting out some part of the camera module to bypass a part that had burnt out or failed, its been a very long time since that thread so I cant help further.

It may though be possible to downgrade the firmware then reupgrade it again and see if the + sign clears, again do a forum search for downgrading the P3S firmware
Thanks. But the drone with the + in the firmware is the one that can go out much farther that the other. Also, I did downgrade the firmware to something lower in the one that can only go out about 1,100 feet . I don't remember now which one. I think it was 1.7.XXX something. The range didn't improve at all. I then started getting a message saying "New Firmware Available". So I went ahead and reinstalled the newest version. I think it's 1.9.2 something. A flight test after that also did not improve the range a bit.

I'm wondering about the 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz wifi system. I understand that 2.4 is a better frequency for long range flying. I haven't figured out how to check and see what it is using, or how to change it. Any ideas? Again, it is a Phantom 3 Standard using the latest DJI Go app on a Samsung tablet.

It's odd. This thing really flies well within the 1,100 range. Just won't go beyond that.

The 3,000 foot drone has firmware 1.09.0200, and the 1,500 foot drone has 1.9.20+.
the + in the firmware is the one that can go out much farther that the other.

Seem to have contradicted yourself?

Can you confirm which one is correct.

Also the camera signal is 5.8ghz and the controller works on 2.4ghz.

The controller has the range extender built into it so maybe try swapping controllers over and see if that makes the difference.

Seem to have contradicted yourself?

Can you confirm which one is correct.

Also the camera signal is 5.8ghz and the controller works on 2.4ghz.

The controller has the range extender built into it so maybe try swapping controllers over and see if that makes the difference.
I sometime get the two Standards mixed up because I really don't pay much attention to either one any more. I fly the P3pro and the Mini 2 most of the time. The two firmwares might be the same. I'm not sure. I just know that the one with the + at the end flew much farther. I did try swapping the two controllers and it made no difference to either one. Since I really don't need two P3S drones, I've decided to keep the one that looked the best cosmetically and keep the other one for parts if needed.

I hope I cleared up any misunderstandings about what I wanted to know. As far as I'm concerned, we can end this thread for now. I do appreciate you responses.

Reactions: crash1sttime

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers