Why the DJI Phantom?

Reaction score
What made you choose the DJI Phantom over other brands such as the Blade and many other's?
Just doing my homework and want to know if there are things I'm not thinking about while researching.
Thanks in advance.

hdrider said:
What made you choose the DJI Phantom over other brands such as the Blade and many other's?
Just doing my homework and want to know if there are things I'm not thinking about while researching.
Thanks in advance.

Google .... Blade vs dji phantom

You'll get several hits ...

hdrider said:
Thanks in advance.

I first learned to fly RC planes. I started on a PNP version of a powered glider. Once I felt I had that down I moved to a plane with tricycle gear and then a tail dragger. Each plane took off, flew and landed differently. Then I built my own!

I decided I wanted to try Quadcopters. I decided to go the same route except this time the ones I considered were all RTF like the Phantom. I chose the Phantom because I felt it offered the best hardware and technology of the ones I considered. The firmware could easily upgraded, parameters in the flight controller could be adjusted and the Phantom has a very large user base to gather knowledge and advice from. Plus IMHO the Phantom looked like the most refined product of the ones being offered. Many others looked like science fair projects or cheap toys. Nothing wrong with that, I guess it is just a preference.

I also liked the fact that the Phantom had so many after market options for cameras, landing gear, dual batteries and many others. The options seem endless on how you can change and modify the phantom. It is by no means perfect but I am very pleased with my Phantom! BTW I purchased the V 1.1.1. My next Quad or Hex will be custom built. It will probably look like a science fair project and I am sure I will love it!

hdrider said:
Thanks in advance.

I was introduced to the Phantom by a movie crew who were doing a low-budget (kickstarter) movie. I was totally impressed. It was a P1 without a gimbal but with a GoPro attached. The film was very cool but the Phantom was mesmerizing. I also saw one of the early advertisements where it showed them coming back to home when power was lost. The tech-geek in me was impressed. I bought a P1 and fell in love. So I bought a P2 with gimbal and added osd/FPV.

I've since ordered an F550 Flamewheel (not arrived as yet) because I'm completely ate up with this. The Flamewheel is easy to modify and has tons of videos and instructions (just like the Phantom).

As I've been playing - I think the complexity of the hobby has become appealing - it is not so complex it can't be figured out. I'm planning on converting my P1 to FPV and probably manual mode just so I can film a roll or loop in the air... maybe...

the first quad I owned was a Gaui 500X. decent for what it was at the time it was introduced, but the cost was around $1000.
2 years later and the Phantom was released...orders of magnitude more sophisticated, flew better, easier to modify, change flight characteristics and half the cost. Liked it well enough that I got another. Then bought a 550. One of the Phantoms and the Gaui have been sold, the other Phantom is for playing around and introducing others to UAVs. I've flown the Blade too; it flies well, but has a "toylike" feel. The Phantom transmitter looks toylike, but it flies like a much more serious aircraft.

I have several Blade heli's, and like them a great deal. For multi's though, I'll stick with DJI

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub