Why shoot at 60 fps?

Reaction score
I shoot 1080P 24fps Medium FOV Protune. I found a substantial number of folks shoot at 60 fps. It is not clear to me why? 60 fps allows you to slow down a video without loss, but that is the only advantage I can think of.

I believe if you put a 60 fps video on a 24fps timeline, the video editor will either drop frames or blend them. I'm not sure this makes a video any better. What am I missing, why shoot at 60 fps?

I find that when I shoot at 60fps my day shots comes out with less jello effect. Actually, NO jello effect at all.

When I shoot at 24fps I get a slight hint of jello depending on where I am on the throttle.

The only time I shoot at 24 or 30fps is during dusk or full night.

There was a test comparison of image quality and sharpness on 1080P at 60, 48 and 30 FPS.

30 was by far the worst and 60 clearly the sharpest. It was not even close.

For that reason I shoot at 60FPS, that and the possibility of slowmotion. If I really want 30FPS I will shoot at 4K.
Lots of slowmotion 720P 120 FPS.

Low light 1080P 30 FPS. Didn't try 4k 30FPS in low light yet.

ericdes said:
There was a test comparison of image quality and sharpness on 1080P at 60, 48 and 30 FPS.

30 was by far the worst and 60 clearly the sharpest. It was not even close.

For that reason I shoot at 60FPS, that and the possibility of slowmotion. If I really want 30FPS I will shoot at 4K.
Lots of slowmotion 720P 120 FPS.

Low light 1080P 30 FPS. Didn't try 4k 30FPS in low light yet.

Unless you have a Hero 4, you won't be shooting in 4k at 30fps - Hero 3(+) can only do an unusable 15fps in 4k

JaysDMC said:
I find that when I shoot at 60fps my day shots comes out with less jello effect. Actually, NO jello effect at all.

When I shoot at 24fps I get a slight hint of jello depending on where I am on the throttle.

The only time I shoot at 24 or 30fps is during dusk or full night.

+1 When using the GP in sunglight, 60fps will help prevent a lot of the jello effect you might otherwise see in the vids.

It appears the major reason to shoot at 60 fps is to reduce the jello effect. From what I have seen, the jello effect is from the days of the Phantom 1. With the Phantom 2 and 2D gimbal with Hero 3+, I have not heard of jello complaints. I'll be vigilante and if I see jello issues I'll re-visit shooting at 60fps but I'm not convinced it is necessary.

Someone mentioned 60 fps being sharper. I looked at the YouTube video link suggested in this post and all I could say for certain was 30 fps was bad, any other differences were small or undetectable by me. Perhaps as I gain more expertise I'll see the difference but not now.

Thanks again to all those that took the time to respond. I have Subscribed on YouTube to a few of the links provided in this post. Excellent sources of information.

Thanks
Rich

OK, lets call JELLO EFFECT a ROLLING SHUTTER... secondly shooting 60fps allows you to conform video to 24fps, stabilise it and speed it up again, it has multiple benefits including the reduction of rolling shutter due to the high frame rate.

https://vimeo.com/90780952

Interesting video comparison,. I'm going to try the same tests myself between 30fps and 60fps..
Something doesn't seem right, 30fps shouldn't produce more jaggies than the others, it should be somewhat simlar
..plus, this person found that shooting 48fps produced way more jaggies. so go figure
http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

I prefer shooting 30fps and Still at the same time (which you can't do with 60fps).

Yes,. some people say it reduces jello shooting at 60, but if you don't have a jello problem at 24 or 30, I say don't bother - unless you plan to do slow-downs and such that benefits from 60fps.

Keep in mind that 60fps produces movie files that are twice as big, and take 2x longer to process/edit/render.

Some editing apps will merely drop every other frame if you drop a 60fps into a 30fps comp, .. tho some give you the option to frame blend as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik